Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single and traveling solo
Anyone have any suggestions on where traveling solo could be fun? It wouldn't hurt to meet someone or perhaps even to join a group (although I'm not sure where to go?).

Could use advice!

Detroit, MI (I'm not above reusing my old jokes).

I did Ecuador and Peru mostly alone for about 3 weeks - was effing incredible. My sister joined for the last week and we did the Macchu Piccu hike together - life changing experience.

I've also done Ireland solo - you'll never see the green they have there here in the states.

St. Thomas and St. John are also good trips - especially if you don't have a passport and are planning on vacationing before it's feasible to get one.

DELAWARE!!! (my mom is from there so I love it)

VileKyle Wrote:Detroit, MI (I'm not above reusing my old jokes).

I've actually been to Detroit. I was teaching at the time and while on a class trip to the science museum a bum approached a group of our student. The situation was harmless, but some of the parents felt differently after receiving severely dramatized versions of the event from their children.

Part of me wants to do an adventure, but part of me wants to go somewhere relaxing. Passport isn't an issue--I have a passport. I'd prefer to not spend too too much, I want to enjoy myself but I don't want to go broke.

I wouldn't mind a place where I could find another single guy. I am not at all expecting it, but Ideally I wouldn't go somewhere that is a honeymoon haven...primarily because that will mean that I'm the only single guy there, and I'll feel awkward.

How much is too too much? And are you a destination vacation guy? An adventure vacation guy? Or a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants vacation guy?

For my south american trip, it cost me, on average, about $9/day (I bussed it and stayed in hostels), and I met and hooked-up with a Peruvian dude in Lima.

So, to me that fits the prescribed requirements...but if that doesn't sound like your idea vacation, perhaps a little more info on how you travel/what you enjoy doing would help narrow it down a bit?

I'd like to keep it below $1000 for about 5-7 days. But again, I'd rather have ideas and then I can look into how to trim them down (presuming one of them ends up being "the" idea).

I usually do hotels, prefer a place with wifi. I tossed around the idea of joining a tour group...but I'm not sure where to look to find a tour group?

Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Lassen, Yosemite - Most camp grounds are around or below$20.00 a night - assuming no hook-ups, for a tent or something.

Then there is mile after mile of nice trails to be hiked.

I was talking about work and Key West came up. Any thoughts?

Key west would is a great place. Simple, fun and cheap - you could spend a few day there and jump over to it's sister city Green Turtle cay in the Abaco Chain in the Bahamas - Key west to Green turtle by sea plane about 50 bucks..... all strictly within your budget!