Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sir Elton John vs Dolce & Gabanna
In an interview, Dolce and Gabbana referred to IVF children as "synthetic" and born from "rented wombs" and said they believe in traditional families. In the past they have said they are against gay couples adopting children. Just goes to show you even gays can be anti-gay. Elton John, who has two children born of IVF, has called for a boycott of D&G and has so far gotten the support of Ricky Martin, Melissa Etheridge, Courtney Love, and Al Roker. Stefano Gabbana, who was in a relationship for 20 years with Domenico Dolce, responded to the calls for a boycott by showing he is as ignorant about the concept of freedom of speech as the rest of the bigots by saying on Instagram, that Elton John a fascist and defended his "freedom to speak." Do people still not understand in this day and age that freedom of speech allows people to use their freedom of speech to respond to what you say? I am not sure if they realize what they have done. One of the biggest way for designers like D&G to promote themselves is to be seen worn on the red carpet. Does anyone think celebrities are going to want to say, "Dolce & Gabbana" when asked who they are wearing? The Christian right and elderly grandmothers wearing sensible, flat soled shoes to walk to church are not buying Dolce & Gabbana.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/15/living/fea...ce-gabbana

Free speech works both ways...why don't people understand that? It amazes me.....

Of course there will be consequences for D&G...and well deserved.

He just might be Carrie Prejean's soul mate...maybe she will wear his crap.

Does this mean I should throw away my dolce glasses? What a douche bucket.

I'd never heard of them or their brand before this, so I guess they won't be too hard not to buy from

i don't know, do these boycotts actually ever work? Dolce&Gabbana is a billion-euro revenue brand. so a few celebrities stop using it (this may be outbalanced by actually gaining other customers who agree with what they are saying) for, what...a month? at worst they will have a bad year.

what they said doesn't really surprise me. i've heard worse from Italian public figures. i don't mean in terms of homosexuality, i mean in terms of opening their mouth when they should know better. some of the things they say are so idiotic that you're genuinely left wondering about their intellectual abilities. it's just posturing most of the time and unless it produces an extensive backlash it's forgotten and they don't have to address their words. in this case, of course, it is extensive, and i wanna see if D&G will issue a further statement on this thing at one point.

and personally, i never bought D&G in my life. it's sort of evaded me. never caught my eye.
''Do I look civilized to you?''

Elitist claptrap.

D&G are overpriced vanity items, and inherently immoral from the outset.

Elton John is a bit of a freakish surreal performer for my money. Though I don't begrudge anyone his taste in musicians, I don't find him appealing musically or otherwise.

Their spat is of no interest or consequence.

The average working class couple cannot afford IVF. It's the prerogative of the rich. Rodeo Drive and Fifth Avenue might as well be the Yellow Brick Road to the real people who make up the masses.

Potato, po-tah-to. Mercedes, or Audi.

Not germane, but as fair a topic for a thread as any other, just not important to me.

Hardheaded1 Wrote:Elitist claptrap.

D&G are overpriced vanity items, and inherently immoral from the outset.

Elton John is a bit of a freakish surreal performer for my money. Though I don't begrudge anyone his taste in musicians, I don't find him appealing musically or otherwise.

Their spat is of no interest or consequence.

The average working class couple cannot afford IVF. It's the prerogative of the rich. Rodeo Drive and Fifth Avenue might as well be the Yellow Brick Road to the real people who make up the masses.

Potato, po-tah-to. Mercedes, or Audi.

Not germane, but as fair a topic for a thread as any other, just not important to me.

As usual, you assumptions are based completely on your own opinions and "morality". My husband and I are firmly seated in the American Middle-Class and we will be starting our next round of IVF in July. Yes, $35,000 is a lot of money, but it is by no means outside the reach of anyone who is planning to start a family (if you are starting a family and you don't even have $35,000 put back, then you are doing it wrong).
So, yes there are some of us who will never live on Rodeo Dr. but have no intention of spending the rest of our lives single, childless and alone (though I don't begrudge anyone their life style choices, I don't find such a choice appealing, gay or otherwise..).

~Beaux

Good luck Beaux!!!
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Morality is always personal. It is also collective. To the degree that it is shared by a group, it becomes accepted or at least common.

I'm not having any bumper stickers printed up any time soon, so a forum seems a most appropriate place to share those personal opinions.

$35,000 is more than most working class families spend on a car. They surely don't spend that on having a baby.

Setting a price threshold on how couples should decide on whether they can "afford" children -- gee, that's pretty moralizing all by itself, and not at all elitist.

From a recent U.S. census, the overall median income for an individual was $28k. That a gross income. Take out taxes, car payments, insurance, and rent/mortgage, and no one's saving up $35k any time soon.

The average personal savings rate in the US in 2015 is 5.5%. If median income is $28k, an individual is saving only $1400 per year. A $35k baby isn't happening anytime soon.

And nice work labeling the poor as those who choose that lifestyle.

"As usual" you are just being pissy and petulant, carrying on a forum feud based on your pettiness.

Beaux, have you ruled out adoption? Who do you plan to have impregnated, if you don't mind me asking?