Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slowly but surely...
Slowly but surely I am coming out. First was to my Mom, who is completely ok with this and totally supportive. My Dad passed on years ago but would have been as well.

Second was to my next door neighbor. This involved a little alcohol to get my nerve up. I wasn't drunk, but a wee bit happy. She also was ok with my being gay and told me that she was sorry that I took as long as I did to tell her (7years). She told her husband who is fine with it too.

Third was a close friend of mine who is gay and in a monogamous relationship of many years. This was about two years ago. He just complimented me and said that I was such an interesting person with so much to offer to the one that I found special.

Fourth was just today and involves the post that I made recently about my being uncomfortable with gay jokes. (link below) I decided to let my boss and coworker know. This actually hasn't happened just yet, but is imminent. The boss' daughter came by today and the boss had to run an errand. We chatted for awhile and I decided to ask what she thought her father's opinion of gay people was. She's a really cool person and I already knew her own opinions as she has several gay friends. Long story short, she said her dad had no problems with gay people.

I wasn't quite able to finish the conversation when the boss walked in on us. I made a slow retreat out of the office, but she dragged out the conversation a tad and asked me "If I wanted to tell her something?" I said "Not yet", but when I was out of view of the boss, I pointed towards myself! She said, with her dad in the room "It's no big deal, You've got nothing to worry about" She then stood up and gave me a big hug right in front of her dad! I can only imagine what was going through his head! I wish I'd just walked back in and finished the conversation. Probably will before the end of the week.

It's not easy to do, but It does seem to get easier each time. Count is about nine people that know now by association. Funny thing is, each person I tell says they're glad for me, and I get a big hug from them!
http://gayspeak.com/showthread.php?t=24625

:god-of-all-hugs:

Thanks for sharing, Sport. I'm glad things are going so well for you!

My own experience of coming out as bi in my 40's has been similar. I think my friends and family have a good sense of who I am, the quality of my character. That I'm now in a relationship with another man is a surprise to them, but they have all been supportive.

Take your time. Your coming out is a process that belongs to you.

Feels better and better, doesn't it? Bighug

The hardest part is when you have to come out to us. Just understand that we will be the worst critics Wink

In all honesty, these are good steps in your progress - many kudos to you.

-you will find some people NOT ok with it
-there is no more need for you to affirm you are gay than straight

a few years back gays were encouraged to be out to show the numbers.
now and always has been, its better to be out to sustain self confidence and simplify your interface with people.
With being out i chose not to be a poster child for anything new, still the same person i was before. I am not to be expected to solve everyone's family or dating issues or advise them on fashion dress or the theater. They should respect my personal life; that we have husbands, boy friends and a life outside work that includes various relationships.

That's wonderful.Confusedmile:

Bighug