Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dating Site Dilemma
Great advice so far. Any relationships I have had have grown out of friendships, whether online or off. I've probably mentioned this before, but Albert and I were penpals (via daily e-mail exchanges) for months before he introduced me to MSN. What I found interesting about him were his sharp intellect, fascination with the world, sense of humour, quick wits, empathy and political leanings. Our internet relationship acted as a kind of filter where we both managed to sustain the other's interest.

Eventually I telephoned him and we spoke. Then we arranged to meet. By that time we knew a lot about each other, but there was no guarantee (or even a wish from my point of view) for a romantic relationship to develop.

I'm rather sorry to see that the chat room isn't used much on this site. It would be a fun way of having instant interaction without risking giving out e-mail addresses to the wrong person. When I've used chat rooms in the past I have always started in the main chat room. If I wanted to chat privately I have always started by asking if it's "ok to pvt?" If the other person is busy or not interested they can always say no. It is fun to have a few people in a chat room just mardling. Albert and I have sat in the one on this site a few times hoping that others would join us. We can talk to each other any time!

Maybe if enough people were interested in giving it a try someone could suggest a date and time (and a time zone Wink ). One gay chat room I used to frequent several years ago was often used as the recruiting ground for friendly invitations to a mobile supper. People in the Peterborough area would meet up online and arrange to take food round to someone's house where they would spend a pleasant and friendly evening. The next month someone else would offer their home as a meeting place. It isn't always about sex.

If you are serious about using the internet to "meet" others, someone has to start the ball rolling, so it might as well be you. A well-placed compliment is as good a conversation opener as anything else. If the recipient does not have the courtesy to respond, it is indeed their loss. If you do not wish for attention from someone else it is fine to thank them for their message, but say that you are not interested in responding. It needn't start a flame war. Most people here are supposed to be adults!

Finally (I promise!) I was intrigued the other day. I did send someone on here an instant message about something I didn't feel needed to be placed in a public arena. The response from that person was to be "excited" to have heard from me. I found that response very touching and at the same time a bit saddening. If I didn't want anyone to write to me I assume there is an option to disable instant messaging on my account. Again bear in mind that it should be okay to make the first contact if a member has left that option open.

So, good luck. May you meet new people and make new friends. Confusedmile:

Wow, this thread sure popped out of the archives Wink

Thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone. I decided awhile back to put the whole online dating thing on hold, namely because I am going to be moving soon back to New Brunswick and also because I am trying to go through a physical transformation (geek to god as I like to call it).

However, having said that, I don't want to deter anyone from sharing any wisdom that they have on the subject of dating online. After all, its not just for me, but this thread serves as a source for anyone who reads it.

Thanks again to everyone who responded with their sage advice.

marshlander Wrote:I'm rather sorry to see that the chat room isn't used much on this site ... Albert and I have sat in the one on this site a few times hoping that others would join us. We can talk to each other any time!

why don't you try again... i still live the chat room open when i log in hopeing that someone will come..

marshlander Wrote:It would be a fun way of having instant interaction without risking giving out e-mail addresses to the wrong person.

i do agree with you about that

you could always just go into a bar.

That is how I met my ex. I saw him and immediately my heart started to race. I can remember it as though it was yesterday. I was so nervous trying to get it right, not knowing what to say. But we went out and I was happy.

I met my current one IRL and liked him even more!

I find it harder to meet people from the net because your expectations of each other could be a lot higher then what the person is actually like in real. My preferred choice is just to meet someone in day to day life and let chemistry hit from there. :tongue: But I agree with the whole idea of just chatting to people online and see how things expand from there.

Bob Wrote:I find it harder to meet people from the net because your expectations of each other could be a lot higher then what the person is actually like in real. My preferred choice is just to meet someone in day to day life and let chemistry hit from there. :tongue: But I agree with the whole idea of just chatting to people online and see how things expand from there.
I agree with you.
I also find it bizzare meeting someone you send emails to and have never seen.