Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...I Started Painting
I already like your older paintings but I like the newer ones even more. They are abstract and have a unique ambiance in it!

(08-14-2020, 12:17 PM)seeking Wrote: I already like your older paintings but I like the newer ones even more. They are abstract and have a unique ambiance in it!

Thanks Smile

I'm trying to not overblend which is really easy when you're right in front of the painting doing realism. Of course acrylic pouring is mostly just having fun and there is a technique to it which I am exploring and trying to figure out how to get these bizarre results that a lot of people get. Which reminds me that I want to get some masking tape for the next thing I'm looking to do. Might finally do an acrylic painting that isn't something crazy.

I do like working with oil paints but not everybody does. I like it because you have a lot more control and the colors usually pop out really well, not that acrylic doesn't but I find it much easier to mix a color I want, especially with realism where you basically use dirty colors and a lot of grays.

I think for me, the biggest thing is to learn to be more patient and take my time. Similar advice I should take with guys too it seems.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

I like these latest pouring ones. They remind me of close up satellite imagery of Jupiter  Big Grin

You could try mixing with plain old water and see how it turns out. Might be a little runny though, but no harm in experimenting.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(08-15-2020, 01:22 PM)Bookworm Wrote: I like these latest pouring ones. They remind me of close up satellite imagery of Jupiter  Big Grin

You could try mixing with plain old water and see how it turns out. Might be a little runny though, but no harm in experimenting.

The first one I did was with water...and I thought then that perhaps I should get the proper stuff thinking the results would turn out better. The pouring medium is like milk in consistency, or thick milk maybe...half and half...But it's like a glue I think, makes the paint like rubber when dry. So, I do think it does affect how the paints mix/interact. Seems the one I did with water the paints didn't overblend as much.

At any rate I'll have to hold off on the pouring as I'm running out of canvases! lol

I got some plans for new paintings as well as the piece I'm working on now...which is a huge departure from what I normally paint.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Well.... Here's what I've been working on the past couple of days. Decided to do something different and thought I would use one of my odd sized canvases 12x36" (in) and used acrylic paint instead of oil.

I'm not good at classifying art in terms of what kind of abstract art something is, anyway I think this would qualify as squarism. Either way, it was interesting to do and very different working with acrylic paints (I still prefer oils, period).

Let me know what you think. I get that some will think it is garbage or just don't like modern art in general. Facebook is being fussy so I couldn't link it from there so I uploaded it to my web server. Can click to get the full size image.

[Image: 20200815_180959.jpg]
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 3 members Like InbetweenDreams's post:
  • andy, Chase, seeking

(08-16-2020, 12:23 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: Well.... Here's what I've been working on the past couple of days. Decided to do something different and thought I would use one of my odd sized canvases 12x36" (in) and used acrylic paint instead of oil.

I'm not good at classifying art in terms of what kind of abstract art something is, anyway I think this would qualify as squarism. Either way, it was interesting to do and very different working with acrylic paints (I still prefer oils, period).

Let me know what you think. I get that some will think it is garbage or just don't like modern art in general. Facebook is being fussy so I couldn't link it from there so I uploaded it to my web server. Can click to get the full size image.

[Image: 20200815_180959.jpg]

I like this kind of "pattern / texture" painting (don't know how should we call it). If I have to say, personally, I'd prefer having a bit less varieties in terms of colors and forms in it because I feel like there are so much going on and a bit overwhelming. But that's just me and surely everyone feels differently.
[-] The following 1 member Likes seeking's post:
  • Bookworm

@seeking Yeah it is a busy painting. If I had used oil probably would have been much different on colors...mainly that it is far easier to mix oil color. but I was also using one of those acrylic sets with 32 tubes of different color which is nice but most of the colors aren't what they really are. I find that many of them have white mixed in, even colors you wouldn't expect...Like normally with oil if you mix say burnt umber and ultramarine you get black...you get mud with these acylics, so mixing might not get you what you want. Of course, the reason I went with acrylic paints is because it would have used a ton of oil paint which is way more expensive, but that's one reason I used a lot of bold colors, I did mix some colors in a few spots though. Despite that I thought something bold like that would be neat.

Also photographing art is a trick. The colors are still more rich in real life and perhaps not quite so saturated at the same time? Hard to get it right with a phone and I suppose if I wanted to get a better quality photo I would use my Nikon once I get the exposure and such dialed in. Like the black paint for instance...isn't totally black and the white paint isn't totally white, so somehow the dynamic range on the photo is less than what my eyes can see. Not saying you're wrong on your criticism though, this is probably just a mess lol

It was a neat experiment though.
Check out my stuff!

(08-16-2020, 01:59 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: @seeking Yeah it is a busy painting. If I had used oil probably would have been much different on colors...mainly that it is far easier to mix oil color. but I was also using one of those acrylic sets with 32 tubes of different color which is nice but most of the colors aren't what they really are. I find that many of them have white mixed in, even colors you wouldn't expect...Like normally with oil if you mix say burnt umber and ultramarine you get black...you get mud with these acylics, so mixing might not get you what you want. Of course, the reason I went with acrylic paints is because it would have used a ton of oil paint which is way more expensive, but that's one reason I used a lot of bold colors, I did mix some colors in a few spots though. Despite that I thought something bold like that would be neat.

Also photographing art is a trick. The colors are still more rich in real life and perhaps not quite so saturated at the same time? Hard to get it right with a phone and I suppose if I wanted to get a better quality photo I would use my Nikon once I get the exposure and such dialed in. Like the black paint for instance...isn't totally black and the white paint isn't totally white, so somehow the dynamic range on the photo is less than what my eyes can see. Not saying you're wrong on your criticism though, this is probably just a mess lol

It was a neat experiment though.
Yes, I was also thinking about the differences between what the photo captures, what the monitor of our computer shows and what the actual piece looks like. But there is no other way we can look at it so we can only give feedback based on the means we have.

And that's really not a criticism...everyone has their own preference or taste in things, particularly in arts, so really, no worries !

I'm not a huge fan of abstract art. When I was at Art College, I had to attend numerous lectures on the subject, and in Modern Art in general. I do remember having an 'a-ha' moment, where I thought I finally understood it, at a conceptual level, but whatever I'd grasped has long since abandoned me and I've slipped back in to the dark.

They are quite fun to work on though. I remember doing a huge A1 sized oil pastel abstract drawing, of reflections on water. My fingers were rubbed raw after blending the colours on that one, but I enjoyed working in that medium nevertheless.
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>

(08-21-2020, 09:32 PM)Bookworm Wrote: I'm not a huge fan of abstract art. When I was at Art College, I had to attend numerous lectures on the subject, and in Modern Art in general. I do remember having an 'a-ha' moment, where I thought I finally understood it, at a conceptual level, but whatever I'd grasped has long since abandoned me and I've slipped back in to the dark.

They are quite fun to work on though. I remember doing a huge A1 sized oil pastel abstract drawing, of reflections on water. My fingers were rubbed raw after blending the colours on that one, but I enjoyed working in that medium nevertheless.

Well I felt the same way about abstract art myself, but I also like doing those paintings with a pallet knife as well, impressionism perhaps? Unfortunately I'm not much on studying art. I'd really like to go to an museum at some point, not sure when that will be able to happen.

That was my first real piece of abstract art. I think it is interesting but unfortunately doesn't seem many people care for it....which is fine. Not everyone likes that type of art and that's fine. People seem to like acrylic pouring though lol

At any rate I have at least 3 paintings I need to finish which ought to be better received lol

Also, I don't know there is so much an ah ha moment on getting it. It's kind of like some poetry I suppose.
Check out my stuff!