Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So...I Started Painting
Photo 
I just realized I didn't share this with everyone...mainly because I didn't start until 2018 I think. It's been a ride, lots of ups and downs....Anyway, I kind of got hooked on watching Bob Ross mainly to help deal with stress and thought it would be cool if I did some paintings after seeing all the various techniques. I did quite a few a year ago and been kind of lazy, although with this quarantine stuff going on I really have no excuse not to finish my work.

I'll just start with these 3 paintings for now, not sure how they'll appear.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm

They really are beautiful pieces and thank you for sharing. What inspires you to paint? Or do you just get lost in a moment or is it just hard to explain?
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

(04-13-2020, 12:23 AM)Mark Wrote: They really are beautiful pieces and thank you for sharing. What inspires you to paint? Or do you just get lost in a moment or is it just hard to explain?

I'll either have an idea for something to paint or I see a photo I would like to paint. Then I try to make it look realistic.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Great oil work - you're very talented! Smile
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

(04-13-2020, 11:32 PM)andy Wrote: Great oil work - you're very talented! Smile

Thanks Andy  Smile

I've got plenty of flops (not pictured).
Check out my stuff!

Nicely done. I specially like the landscapes.

(04-14-2020, 12:55 PM)marshlander Wrote: Nicely done. I specially like the landscapes.

That is what I enjoy doing the most. For some reason things that are geometric or portraits I just cannot do at all. I was going to try to do a portrait of my sister and her husband and it was not going well at all. I can match colors pretty well but trying to get the size, shape, angle ...perspective correct in a portrait I just bomb, horribly. 

One of the things I try to not do, regardless of the painting, is not to try to put in too much detail. 

Take a look at Sargent's works, you'll notice the brush strokes are pretty broad and not a ton of detail, when you step back it looks as if it were a photograph. That is the sort of thing I aim for and it is hard to not to want to get in and do a bunch of detail.

[Image: 718px-John_Singer_Sargent_-_Nonchaloir_%281911%29.jpg]
Check out my stuff!

I think I've seen one of John Singer-Sargent's paintings in the National Gallery in London. I am in awe of anyone who can paint. I have some incredibly talented friends who have produced some extraordinary work. I hope you manage to keep up the excellent work.

Those are awesome! Smile
“Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”  [Image: 1f3a9.png]

(04-14-2020, 02:11 PM)marshlander Wrote: I think I've seen one of John Singer-Sargent's paintings in the National Gallery in London. I am in awe of anyone who can paint. I have some incredibly talented friends who have produced some extraordinary work. I hope you manage to keep up the excellent work.

I'd love to see his works up close. Not sure if there are any near me. Of course that doesn't matter right now because everything is closed...

Here's a few more I have done. Believe it or not I've actually sold a few (I did give one away as a gift).

Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Bookworm