Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Climber gay Guy
fredv3b Wrote:Maybe it's a my British background but to my mind there is a big difference between social status and mere wealth.

Yeah that's so true we British can be so snobbish when it comes to social status. There was a British TV comedy, 'The Frost Report' and in it a sketch that said it all, here is an extract.

"Of all the send-up's that appeared on 'The Frost Report', the best remembered, and often held as representative of the shows style was the Marty Feldman/John Law penned sketch about class. This involved 6ft 5inch Cleese standing next to 5ft 8inch Barker who in turn stood next to 5ft 1inch Corbett, and using each man's height to illustrate their standing in society. Middle-Class Barker explains: 'I look up to him (Cleese) because he is upper class but I look down on him (Corbett) because he is lower class.' Corbett: 'I know my place.' The sketch lasted no more than a few minutes but remained in the memory for so long that some thirty or more years later Ronnie Barker came out of retirement to make an updated version for a TV special with Ronnie Corbett (John Cleese was unavailable so Stephen Fry stood in for him). "

i dont try to be rich honestly lol. i have rich friends that are babied and loved by their parent. i am poor and my parents despise me. i dont let it affect my friendship with them. but im not gonna try and pretend to be rich like them. BUT- i do keep my style, because i believe that is all that matters honestly. though i am quite jealous of my firned who is 20 and still gets a 40 dollar allowance every sunday. ALLOWANCES SHOULDVE STOPPED AT THE AGE 16! he'll never learn how to save money or how to face the real world. that to me makes him a fail case. but i blame his parents, not him. though his snobbiness comes out every now and then, and i am sure to throw him off his tower everytime.

Without social climbing nobody would ever really better themselves, so it has to exist to some degree... It depends whether you're in it for yourself or other people; nobody could argue against a man or woman wanting better for their own. Doing it for the pride and vanity might be a less desirable end.

i see the point of doing this, but at the end of the day who are you really lying to....yourself. i would think at some point you would get so caught up in this life style that it would hurt you more then help.

I think it will hurt you financially in long term as you have to cope with buying expensive branded goodies that are out of your actual permitted budget. All the time.

My dad comes from a very poor family. His family used to live in a small shack with no electricity and water. My dad determined to change his family's life via education and he successfully did it.

My parents particularly my dad always remind my siblings and I to live within our means, don't use credit card when it is not necessary, always remember to give back, don't be stingy, work smart and hard to earn a good future. Last but not least, be honest in all aspects.

I can say that I have a very comfortable income now. I work my butt off to earn a good money via full time job as well as freelance job. After I received my first pay check, the first thing that crossed into my mind was, "I can shop in Gucci now!"

But eventually I didn't. I realized that I can spend my money in a much better way. Sure, I spoil myself but I don't see any reason why I need to splash a grand for a bag or a pair of shoes. I'm still young and this is a good moment for me to save and invest my money as much as possible. Plus insurance, youngsters tend to pass off insurance. I dislike insurance too but it will benefit you when you have to face a rainy day. Besides insurance is much cheaper when you are still young and healthy.

In Malaysia, some local young gay adults think all foreigners and expats love to spend money and live in luxury. Hence why some guys do their best to chase foreigners. But that's far from factual. My foreigner friends prefer to live in low profile even though they have huge salaries. They eat in a food court or a hawker stall instead of glitzy restaurant. They don't buy clothes in high end boutiques. And so on.

I don't know how social climbing can actually benefit you but if it does, then do it. I will not going to say it's wrong or alike. But I think there is a better way to achieve luxurious life without the need to pretend. Work hard and smart to begin with.

Ok. That's my 2 cents view.

I look poorer than I actually am...because I'm more interesting in being rich than looking rich. Many people look rich in America, but are one layoff or accident from financial disaster. Keeping up appearances isn't worth the constant anxiety, imo.

Ironically, I have a social-climber friends who make a fraction of my income, yet have far nicer things than I. The difference between our lives? When their car breaks down, when they overdraft on their bank accounts, when they get a traffic ticket, they hit the credit cards or, if those are maxed-out, start begging their friends and family for loans. In contrast...when I see an opportunity, I have the money available to take advantage of it. When I see a $300 set of headphones on sale for $120, I drop the money on it without a second thought. If I find a little-known IPO in a sector I think will take off, I can put money into it without fearing its loss.

My father is an expert at this...he retired fifteen years early, while I was still in gradeschool. While he could afford a small mansion, he prefers to live in a modest house (less maintenance/taxes), wear old painted-stained sweaters/jeans, and spend the majority of his time pursuing his hobbies. Doesn't drive a Lexus, but bought his new Hyundai in cash, and golfs 3-4 times a week. Also spends lots of time tinkering with old computer parts, playing videogames, and watching classic British television. He could travel the world, but he spent most of his career continually travelling between cities and countries, so he's happy avoiding the airport. My mother spends most of her time now volunteering with different charity organizations.

Everyone in my family, even the former CEO, lives well below their means.

Jay Wrote:After I received my first pay check, the first thing that crossed into my mind was, "I can shop in Gucci now!"
I have a very, very difficult time paying $2000 for a jacket that does nothing but keep me warm. There comes a point where you're just paying for branding, not additional quality.

Why should I pay $3000 for a Gucci coat, when a $300 wool coat from a lesser-known designer will look just as good to the drunken patrons inside a dark nightclub? Of course, some here would say that is why I am a "Homeland" bumpkin.

Generally speaking the rich don't get that way by spending silly amounts of money on clothes. (Although some do when their wealth is fully secured.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.