Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socially awkward Mr. Mike . . .
I wish I could push the "thanks" button more than once. This was a very endearing and relatable story.

oh my God I am such a fucking asshole. I am silent in those situations, and walk away feeling like total crap because I've left someone hanging on an entirely awkward moment. Yet... it's only because we allow it to be awkward.

With people I know well, I could shut up and walk away in the middle of a sentence and it would be normal, but we have this expectation with strangers. My ... my idea... my diagnosis for myself is to pretend they're not a stranger, so even if it becomes a silent moment, who said it was "awkward"?

I hope you don't feel I'm trivializing because I know first-hand that shy, tongue-tied kicking myself in the ass because I couldn't carry on a conversation.

These days I'm told I'm pretty good at social interaction, and got a promotion because of it. The secret to behavioral change for me was "fake it 'til you make it". I'd watch folks that I admired for their ease with people, and just copy what they did. Sounds corny, but it worked. I eventually worked out my own style, but the copy-cat approach got me in the door.

Good luck, man!

Totally enjoyed reading this thread tonight.

MikeW you're quite an attractive GS member and I appreciate your being candid about the matter. I find your sense of humor so interesting. I do wonder about the contrast between what you said you were thinking about the guy and your assertion of disinterest in relationshipping. Very nice thread!

Bow!!!!! I did NOT know that about honey! I eat raw honey daily and never knew it! Thanks once again for such great posts. Yours are often my favorites.
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

im just like you, the honey poisoning coffee statement sounds typical of our brains sabotaging a good chance to chat up a sexy guy - if I do manage to say anything to a stranger its usually something like a show stopper dumb ass statement that makes them want to disappear as quickly as they arrive - its only when they leave I realise what I should have said but by then its all to late - I belong to the awkward club of the world lol

forgot to say that if someone talks to me first I usually stutter too lol ,,now that's a conversation killer when u want to come back with a witty answer