Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some good things about the UK
I agree with only a few of these. It was posted on another forum by an American:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/...rmPXyXOKak

And not a single mention of anything vaguely cultural when cities like London, Manchester, Birmingham, Glasgow and Edinburgh and others have probably the greatest variety of culture than almost any other places in Europe.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I want Jaffa Cakes!

MOAR!!!!
I bid NO Trump!

Cultural?

By that I assume you mean food, as aside from that, I saw nothing "cultural" in the sense that i am thinking of the word as I know it.

I didn't see dancers/folk lore/traditional music and I went all around and in London.

People seem to stick to their own communities and there is no sharing of culture, except maybe for cuisine, which again is very self serving unto that specific community first and foremost.

That and the occasional random White Muslim Lady who it seemed everyone on the bus distrusted, because she "sold out" to her own people.

I think your European or "British" culture exists more on the fringes, like in outlaying countrysides and smaller villages.

But metropolitan areas I visited there, didn't offer me the same concept of Culture as I've grown to know it as.

So it's no wonder they didn't make mention?

That's like saying every one of us lives on the Beach or has a coconut tree.

That's only true for some and is what you want to see, but it doesn't mean that represents the culture in it's entirety.

Sheep

Sylph Wrote:Cultural?

By that I assume you mean food, as aside from that, I saw nothing "cultural" in the sense that i am thinking of the word as I know it.

I didn't see dancers/folk lore/traditional music and I went all around and in London.

People seem to stick to their own communities and there is no sharing of culture, except maybe for cuisine, which again is very self serving unto that specific community first and foremost.

That and the occasional random White Muslim Lady who it seemed everyone on the bus distrusted, because she "sold out" to her own people.

I think your European or "British" culture exists more on the fringes, like in outlaying countrysides and smaller villages.

But metropolitan areas I visited there, didn't offer me the same concept of Culture as I've grown to know it as.

So it's no wonder they didn't make mention?

That's like saying every one of us lives on the Beach or has a coconut tree.

That's only true for some and is what you want to see, but it doesn't mean that represents the culture in it's entirety.

No, I meant "culture" in its broad sense excluding food. I meant the arts, theatre, exhibitions, concerts, dance, architecture etc. I think that it was Google that carried out a survey not so long ago and found out that when the word "culture" is put in to the search engine, the vast majoriyty of people looked to London and other cities beyond in the UK. The sheer variety of cultural events that the UK offers is simply second to none. And that includes culture from almost any country around the world. There is something to satisfy every taste. Were I not British and if I came to the UK for culture, food would be way down on the list. I repeat, "culture" exists in all British cities, not just London although I admit that London has an excess.

Recently I sent some cuttings from a small local newspaper of the borough of London where I am at the moment to a friend in San Francisco. He replied to me:

Quote:I forgot to say in my last email that I did read the clippings you sent in your last mailing -- I was at first completely envious reading all the listings for concerts and plays that appeared on them -- London must just be the cultural center of the world

Sylph Wrote:Cultural?

I have no idea how long you were in London or where you went but had you purchased a copy of Time Out you would have discovered that London offers much, much more than "traditional" British culture. You only have to explore boroughs like Brixton, Hoxton and others to find a lot of dance/folklore/traditional music to suit everyone's taste. Even the world famous Sadler's Wells offers dance from just about every country in the world.