Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some of my best friends are gay...
I can't stand this saying,

I was looking at an article from the Independent (can't link don't have enough posts yet! about Niall Ferguson saying that one of his best friends is gay.

http://independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-ne...08319.html

Just because you have one friend who gay, doesn't mean that you can't be anti-gay - in fact the question should be to the 'gay-friend' to ask them what they think about your statements Mr Ferguson.

Ferguson is a queynte (as Chaucer would have put it). He is frantically back-pedaling for having said that the economist J M Keynes didn't care about the future because he was gay and childless (he was bisexual, married and childless).

Ferguson has been attacked from many fronts both for misunderstanding Keynes's contention that "in the long run we're all dead" and for making a homophobic attack on the man instead of taking on his ideas.

It's not the first time he's done this, he attacked Keynes for his sexuality in his book The Pity of War.

That he can't produce more than one gay friend speaks volumes. Still he's a television don, no publicity is wholly bad. He's at Harvard now, we can only hope they keep him.

He's a queynte.

Let me give an analogy of this phrase:

"Some of my best friends are Republicans"

They are in fact some of my best friends, but I do not agree with their political views.

So, it is possible for a straight person to have "gay friends" and still disagree with their gayness.
Latent homophobia could be used to describe this situation.

Would you remain friends with somebody who fundamentally disrespected your opinions and didn't think you should have the rights as you simply because of your sexuality?

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Let me give an analogy of this phrase:

"Some of my best friends are Republicans".

You are such a brave man.

This is a typically racist response people use when accused of racism...

"I'm not a racist, some of my best friends are [...insert any race...].

They are blind. It's so stupid.

I don't hate the phrase itself, some of my friends are gay after all, but the WAS HE USES IT IS RETARDED.

"Some of my best are gay, and I say horrible things about them.".

Like what kind of friend are you? A pretty bad one, I think.

I don't hate it per se, I find those people more amusing than maddening because they are usually so ignorant and clueless they just keep digging themselves deeper with every word they say. Makes for some good times :biggrin:

Now the people I HATE are the ones who claim they support LGBT rights and equality, but when push comes to shove, they're nowhere to be found, not even to talk as a friend. These people disgust me more than the blatant bigots.....at least you know where the bigots stand from the get go.

I'm sure one couple said that about me, being a good friend of theirs, until I discovered how homophobic they were (even if they decided I was an exception, probably because they got to know me before they realized I was gay) and then we weren't friends any longer.

And that is a problem.

Often friends are considered an exception to the rule rather than examples of the rule not being true.