Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone tell me this is normal
Is it normal to work a full time job and go to school full time. I attend the Uni of Central Florida and am taking 5 classes and I am working full time. Can someone please tell me how they got through this. I have time for nothing. I have to quickly enjoy my dinner then do more homework. Then work while doing my homework and studying. It is driving me nuts.

I know I know. #firstworldproblems

Some have it worst, some wish they can go to school or have a job at least. But please can someone tell me how they got through this.

It sucks. It truly truly sucks. I don't know what to tell you, TBH. It's not like there is some secret to it. The only thing to keep in mind is that SCHOOL is temporary.

And, you might need to speak with an academic councilor about this… Do you know what options there are? Is it possible to cut back on your course load… even if it means being in school a year or two longer?

ANyway, there is no EASY way out of this short of dropping out of school for a period of time and going back.

Just the knowledge that it's temporary, and that Future You will never be able to thank Present You enough for doing this for Future You. Smile

Lex

oreosplz93 Wrote:Is it normal to work a full time job and go to school full time. I attend the Uni of Central Florida and am taking 5 classes and I am working full time. Can someone please tell me how they got through this. I have time for nothing. I have to quickly enjoy my dinner then do more homework. Then work while doing my homework and studying. It is driving me nuts.

I know I know. #firstworldproblems

Some have it worst, some wish they can go to school or have a job at least. But please can someone tell me how they got through this.

I did it. Or, well. I did uni full time (full class load) and worked 3 part time jobs (approx 50-60 hrs a week).

Use a count down to your end goal man. One of those "I only have 2 years, 8 months, 2 days left" type things. At least with me, it helped. Then just keep your head down and plow through it, yeah?

I often used the "I can survive anything for X amount of time (that X being what's left of your countdown)", as well.

After all, when you look at it in the view of "three (or four) years.... vs all my life" it's really just a small drop in the bucket you're giving up for a huge accomplishment and reward at the end of that time.

it's not enjoyable, but it is something a lot of the college students live through these days. so it is relatively common. there's really nothing other to do but to suffer through it. once you've graduated you'll never have to go through anything quite like it again. keep that in mind.

glad to hear from you again, by the way.

meridannight Wrote:glad to hear from you again, by the way.
Seconded!

I wanted to add on plan for success, try to mix in some easy classes with the hard and remember if you have to cut down your load from either school or work then do it, like MikeW said it's temperary. Also apply for as many scholarships and grants as you can, take advantage of the free money so you don't have to work as hard to pay for everything.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

LOL. And I thought going to school full-time and only working part time was hard! I mean, damn! 18 credits and 20 hours of work a week, and I'm dead. I can barely keep and social/relationship life!

I just think, It's for my future. It won't be like this forever. Power through man. POWER THROUGH!!

[MENTION=20738]TwisttheLeaf[/MENTION] 1 year and 6 months to go Wink Thank you that's a good way to look at it Smile
[MENTION=20947]MikeW[/MENTION] I would love to cut down on hours. But the thing with UCF ( U can't finish) is that they always change their catalog years making it impossible to graduate if you take your sweet time ;(
[MENTION=21405]meridannight[/MENTION] Thank you, I'm happy to be on here again. I'm so close but so far, It's been almost three years of this crap :o
[MENTION=13830]ceez[/MENTION] Thankfully I'll be graduating with 0 debt, thanks to scholarships and my full time job. And I may have made the mistake of taking too many hard classes at one. Next semester should be chill though right? lol
[MENTION=21512]SHOman93[/MENTION] Thanks I'll power through Smile))))

Thank you all. Smile

As Churchill said, when you are going through hell, keep on going.

I may take every bit of strength but you have to look at the result. It may be that you must maintain a certain course load to keep loan funding. If something has to give, you have to decide what. Hard decision. Even ramen is getting higher priced. If you leave school without a degree it will not get any cheaper.

There is a reason why you seldom see anyone but the young and strong trying to do this. It is incredibly taxing. It can be done, but it is not simply a matter of making sacrifices, it is real hardship.

Why are you doing it? Give yourself a serious answer and plot your course accordingly. Good luck.

PS: It is NOT normal and it IS just plain hard work.
I bid NO Trump!