Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Someone you look up to
Hello all,

Do any of you have that certain someone you look up to, that role model, that person who inspired you to be you? Maybe it was more than one person. Or maybe you just live you life by your own standards. Please, do tell.

Not really.

I think "Try not be like the A-holes I meet" pretty much covers it.:redface:

Utena Tenjou from Revolutionary Girl Utena... kind of embarrassing now, a few years later.

Lao Tzu, if he WAS real. :tongue:

No one, well myself maybe, but that sounds conceited and, I'm not.

To put it in a nutshell, I was used, abused and forced to run with nothing. I made a decent life and, I think, man, of myself despite a lousy childhood. No I'm not perfect, but, though it took me a long time, I do see my good points and, looking back I can see how far I came and how much I really did overcome to get here.

Sure I've got a little ways to go in some areas still but, that's nothing but a step compared to where I have been.

I have had a couple three really good people in my life that 'taught' me how to be less of a monster.

I had my 'gay parents' a couple of older gay men. Well older than me.

My Mama Was a Black Man is a title of a story or book I want to write. Mama was in reality a black man who dressed in drag - not the way over board kind of drag, she actually looked like a lady - If you like the 1950's. She 'adopted me' She and her BF later 'husband' taught me a lot of things I needed to know in life. She kind of protected me from a few things and people.

Unfortunately she wasn't able to protect me from the worst enemy I had at that time, myself.

Now they were not a sterling set, they were pretty tarnished and has their 'issues' and problems. But they were better than a lot of others I had in my life.

Their relationship was 'rocky' at times, but it was true. I got some pretty good idea of what a relationship between two people could and probably should be like.

And then there is 'Bud'. I kind of think of him as my Gay Grandfather. I know he was attracted to me at first as a potential lover (he liked 'the boys') but he actually took me under his wing and became more of a father figure to me. He managed to instil a few values in me that I lacked at that time. He kept me out a couple potentially really bad relationships. Even locked me in the bedroom over one guy who he knew was a 'slimy sleaze-bag' that would ultimate kill me. LOL Came to find out that guy was one of those infected who purposefully went around infecting others.

Unfortunately Mama passed on (HIV/AIDS) and Bud passed on (old age complicated by Diabetes, he refused to really take care of that) . Mama's husband went kind of bat shit crazy after she died. So I lost all three of these really great people.

I think there are other people in my life who had a positive presence and kind of tried to undo or make up for the negative presences in my life. But these three stand out in my mind as being solid mentors and guides for a young kid who had lots of problems and a not so nice past and background.

I want to read that book.

Counselor Wrote:I want to read that book.

Me too, I think it would be an amazing, touching story.

Not one person actually. I taked the parts i like on people. And some of them just came out.

Different influences actually because my idols vary upon growing up... They all contributed to what I am now.