Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something I noticed the other day on the metro
ok so I admit I am pretty addicted to my cellphone, it always has to be close to me at all times. When I take a ride on the metro (subway, I tend to like to people watch every now and then. You know what I noticed. People clinging to their cellphones in their hands, even when they are not doing anything on the phone!

I remember when the internet first came accessible to me, I was addicted to it, and every since I ve had my iPhone I think I can compare it to the same thing.

My question is, why do we cling to our phones so desperately ? What are we trying to stay connected to?

Some people use their phones to play games on the metro, listen to music, etc... and I get that, but having the constant need to have your phone in your hand for no reason? What is the point?

For me, I always need to have my phone around to feel more connected. More connected with what ? The people in your life? I have tried to cut down my looks and peeks at my phone because I really feel it distracts you from the current moment.

I try not to use it at work as often, even try to see if I can go on with not using it at all even during my breaks. There are much more productive things I could do then be on my phone on my break. Read a book, talk to a co-worker, etc...

Anyways my point of this thread is that I think our clinging to technology can distract us from what is going on around us and limits our interactions with other strangers in the world.

Are you someone who just holds their phone at all times by their side, having to check your facebook or text messages? What do you do to make sure you stay off your phone? Have you been able to quit using your phone after noticing this patter? did you ever fall into the cellphone addiction trap?

Thoughts?

we're all zombies!

I have a flip phone... IDK if this makes me immune to the power of pocket computers or if I'm just immune to the idea of pocket computer.

I am an isolationist - I rarely leave this property (Doctor's appointments, thanksgiving/Christmas - funerals....) but when I do go out I am horrified by what people are doing with their devices.

I don't get it... I didn't get the power and why people looked down on me when they asked me for an email address back in the 90's and I didn't have one.... I just don't get the whole 'connectivity' to the world.

Perhaps I'm antisocial, or perhaps I'm a throwback to an ancestral species that relied happily on face to face contact. I find the cellphone, texting to be so impersonal - even posting here I don't feel terribly connected to you as a human bean...

Maybe I lack the technology gene so can't comprehend the need... IDK.

They are sad, lonely, socially inept people who are frightened that they might miss a text message from someone they have met on line and will probably never meet. But they have "friends" (or so they think).
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

Maybe we should look at it in a different light. We men carry our wallets with us every where we go. Women do the same with purses. These wallets & purses carry our personal stuff that is important to have when away from home. The same logic can be applied to Cell Phones and it's ability to connect us to the important people in our lives, or for quick access to information on the internet,, or to use in an emergency,, etc..

Personally, I feel uncomfortable leaving the house without my cell phone & wallet. There are times when I have to payoff the police and make calls to lawyers very quickly or I'll be in big trouble!!!

So NayNay,,, I've been to Montreal,,, and you better keep that phone clutched closely at all times. The police up there are terrible!!!! They don't allow you to do anything illegal... If you need the number to some good lawyers in that town, just give me a "call" and I'll hook you up.

Just kidding!!!!............

I think these devices are very handy, and some people do get carried away by the instant connectivity that it provides.

I have a friend who has one of those cell phones that does everything,,,, She's in her 60's and loves having it. However,,, I do get tired of having to view the thousands of pictures & mini-movies she makes every day with that thing (over emphasizing the amount). My point is - she's hooked, and doesn't know when to stop,,, and I don't have the heart to tell her that that picture of the ocean looks just like the other 5 million she's already taken of the ocean... It's kind-of like this other senior citizen lady who sends me the same e-mail jokes over & over again. I'm starting to worry that she's loosing her mind.

Well,, all I can say is - if these devices make your life happier, then it's a good thing. If they are interfering with your having a happy life - then don't use them or cut back on their use.

As for me,,, I carry a cell phone with me when ever I'm away from home. Never know when I'll need to call a lawyer (smile)...
We Have Elvis !!

I personally do not use my phone that much.
I think it is easy to get addicted to such things,and have known many people who's phones seem to never leave their hands,even when they should be doing orther things like working.

I don't use my Blackberry that much, occasional texts and calls.

One radio station in my area said that people suffer from "FOMO".....Fear Of Missing Out.... so they keep their devices dear to make sure that if some event should come up, they can be 'in on it' and not miss what everyone else is doing or talking about.

I don't give a shit about that.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Maybe we should look at it in a different light. We men carry our wallets with us every where we go. Women do the same with purses. These wallets & purses carry our personal stuff that is important to have when away from home. The same logic can be applied to Cell Phones and it's ability to connect us to the important people in our lives, or for quick access to information on the internet,, or to use in an emergency,, etc..

I agree with Londoner and JCC on this.

Personally, I can't afford to lose my phone. Physically lose it that is. They cost too much to begin with, and I definitely do NOT have the money to be replacing it if I lose it!

Most everything is electronic nowadays anyway......shopping, bank accounts, correspondence, dealing with customers and employers.........everything you do is pretty much 90% done by electronics now. It would be detrimental to your daily life if you were to lose your phone/device and missed something your boss had set up for you, or missed that job interview because you lost your phone/device......

And mobile devices are outlets for the pathetic, lonely, isolated, and unsocial to connect with the world. If one of these people lost their phones/devices, I am sure it would feel like they had a finger or hand cut off.

Within the next 25 years, your mobile device will hold everything you need for daily life. Your "credit cards", "debit cards", "drivers license", important "paperwork/documents/passports", etc.... You lose your device, you lose your life as it were....

MY mobile device phone is exactly that........a mobile phone. Sure I have my emails attached to it, and have my phone contacts on there. But it can all be replaced easily for me. The phone on the other hand, well, as I said before, these things can get expensive and not replace so easily sometimes. But for the information on the phone, I have it all backed up on my home computer, and on a memory chip/flash stick.

I do not keep anything on my phone that is so personal, that someone can get into my personal information/accounts with. So, even if I did lose it, it's not a big deal.

I do feel sorry for people who do keep their whole life on their mobile devices/phones.........thats just pathetic and sad.

I do not use my smart phone that much as well.... thats why I just sold it like couple of days ago. I am now okay with a basic phone

It has been helpful to me though, like for checking emails, browsing net when you're away from home..and for taking pictures, voice recording, listen to music during a long trip, texting/voice mail for free thru whatsapp or viber...and that's it. I can live without all of it.

And to answer your question Naynay maybe they have their phone on their hand just to show off? Most especially if their phones are high end. Or maybe just simply waiting for a text

jimcrackcorn Wrote:Maybe we should look at it in a different light. We men carry our wallets with us every where we go. Women do the same with purses. These wallets & purses carry our personal stuff that is important to have when away from home.

Hmm.... I often leave home without a wallet. I carry enough cash to get me through most situations, don't use ATM/Debit cards, credit cards and crap like that.

The only time I carry a wallet is when I know I will need things like ID (to cash a check or something).

I have several numbers memorized, 119 for emergencies, 114 for information.... :eek::biggrin:Roflmao