Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something serious
There is a serious issue i would like to discuss. I know this is a sensative subject for a lot of people, but i feel i should say this.

While i’ve been on yotube, i decided to take a look into the whole suicide deal. What i noticed however was that there are a lot of people who seem to make fun of it, or who seem to joke about it. It’s as if they think suicide is nothing to be concerned about. Well here’s some news.

From what i know, what ive read, seen, and heard, the people who are most likely to commit suicide among teens are those who are bullied, going through some rough times, or in some or most cases, they could have commited suicide due to depression.

Also, there is also the issue of being picked on because of your sexuallity. Did you know LGBT teens are three to seven times more likely to commit suicide due to bullying for being gay, trans, les or bi? Bullying is a serious matter everywhere, and it needs to stop.

And what pisses me off more is the fact that some people joke about this sort of stuff. In my opinion, these people are insensative.

Not only insensitive, Lovelyraveboy, but ignorant and potentially criminal, in some respect. This is like not helping someone who is in danger., which normally every citizen should do. In our societies, where we want to be insured for almost everything we do, our cars, our dogs, our homes, our trips, you wonder why there is not more insurance of people's well being and prevention of self harming. Even if people don't commit suicide or attempt it, is it normal that they should feel so disconnected and unloved that they feel they have to harm themselves (cutting themselves deliberately for example, drinking themselves sily or into oblivion, in fact any addictive habit that is just a means to escape harsh reality), or just to eliminate their unwanted presence?
Gays have a bad reputation for taking on those drug, alcohol, or promiscuous sex habits. But are they really given a choice to live normal lives without being criticised or being the butt of some sick joke? The straight world still has much progress to make in that respect.

Have you seen this video? It's a documentary actually. And this guy just stands there and films people jumping off the bridge. And NO ONE tries to stop them, people just pass by...

Suicide is a big topic, and a dear one for me...I think that if one really sees no point in coontinuing with his life, then he should proceed with his choice and commit suicide. I mean....really, most people don't know what it is to have absolutely no hope and see nothing ahead, that's why it is so easy for them to say 'You can't just do it, there is always hope, this life was given to you, you can't just decide to end it"...

But with bullying it's different, of course. It's murder, basically. That's why I try to participate in organizations and campaigns such as The Trevor Project..it pains me so much when I see a group in memory of a beautiful young man who killed himself because of LGBT bullying....and it's the parents who make those groups, and they go to seminars and stuff, and try to help other kids...but where were they when their child was suffering? Ahhh...

Really interesting documentary, Ryan.... thanks for posting it.

Sadly one of the biggest problems with stopping a suicide is people are scared of them. they dont want to get involved because they dont know waht to do. Its our responsibility to stop them and help them get through their problems.

Many of the successful ones were 2 or 3 attempts in. they just need someone to sit and talk with them. Honestly a friend. If you see someone being bullied and treated like shit, step in. its worth getting your ass kicked to save a life.

rakmatis Wrote:Sadly one of the biggest problems with stopping a suicide is people are scared of them. they dont want to get involved because they dont know waht to do. Its our responsibility to stop them and help them get through their problems.

Many of the successful ones were 2 or 3 attempts in. they just need someone to sit and talk with them. Honestly a friend. If you see someone being bullied and treated like shit, step in. its worth getting your ass kicked to save a life.

I keep getting told I care to much about other people, I couldnt just walk pass someone who is openly trying to kill them self.

I think people who just walk pass things like should classed as crimerals as much as the people bullying them to do it.

I fall over sometimes and people just walk passed and look at me like shit, but saying that someone well always help at some point, so what Im saying is some people do care and will help out, but a lot of people are thinming I've rather just go home and watch xfacter or more interested in getting to work...

sweetlad2010 Wrote:I keep getting told I care to much about other people, I couldnt just walk pass someone who is openly trying to kill them self.

I think people who just walk pass things like should classed as crimerals as much as the people bullying them to do it.

I fall over sometimes and people just walk passed and look at me like shit, but saying that someone well always help at some point, so what Im saying is some people do care and will help out, but a lot of people are thinming I've rather just go home and watch xfacter or more interested in getting to work...

It does sound as if solidarity and compassion have flown out of the window sometimes. I think some people might be afraid to get involved (probably often the case), not that they don't care, but don't know how to handle an unplanned situation. Of course if we saw a little old lady fall over, we would probably all rush to help, because of her age and obvious perceived frailty... with a young man, it's unexpected. I know people might wonder why you have staggered and fallen, and won't necessarily think it's because of a physical condition. (We've grown out of the habit of meeting people with disabilities going about the streets - I mean, how often do you see someone who's had both their legs amputated, begging in the street? These days, they'd be taken care of, hopefully, in an institution.).

I think also, unfortunately, that people have grown wary also of people faking it. Sometimes, gangs try to distract you with something like a fall in the street only so other members of the gang can rob you or mug you... So for many people, it may just simply be a question of remaining safe, if they can. I think they probably don't realise that your need for assistance is genuine, sorry to say, Sweets.