Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorcere (or Sorkyre)
This is a short story. When I was a kid, I used to live in a house that had a huge backyard. It was about the size of 3 football fields. In the Fall the air would turn dark, the pine needles would turn brown and there was a certain smell about the air, an evil smell, an evil air. The whole of the town felt enclosed as if trapped in a holiday christmas globe. It was during one of the days, actually toward dark to be more specific, that I would often run into the field with one of those long flourescent light bulbs. There were power line towers that lined the huge field, and when you ran through the field with one of those light bulbs, it would catch the electricity flying through the air, and it would light the bulb as if by magic! Whilst I was running through the fields, when the light was not so bright, and dark was taking its hold on the day, I collapse into the tall grass, the fading light by my side. The tall grass caught me and gently brought me to the ground, and I felt the cool breeze blow over me, and through the grass and beside me. I wasn't awake for long after that, I drifted into a slow, steady, streaming sleep where I dreamed of two worlds, of complete opposing nature, separated by a secret door that lay beneath the gnarled stump of a secret and ancient tree. This story is the description of what I remember about that place, the place whose name is Sorcere.

I awoke without actually waking, and I seemed to be hovering in the air, in this place, this huge place. There was a very light and gentle mist that was blowing about this place, it made everything quiet, even thought it made such sounds as it tossed around. I seemed to be able to float effortlessly through the air, and amoung such huge trees that adorned this sacred place. The air was gray, there were no clouds that I saw, but the sky was colored multiple times with many shades of this gray, only slightly darker here, and slightly lighter there. I started to think in my mind 'lower', and I began to drift downwards to the floor of this place. As I drifted to the ground and landed thereon, I saw the trunks of these trees, rows and rows of them, spread very far apart. The wind was still blowing all the way down here, but I was starting to grow tired of this endless gray.

I saw one tree in particular, a little larger than most, and the base of it's trunk was glowing faintly. I took off running, very fast, toward that trunk, toward the glow, and I SLID in, and fell through!

I was suddenly blinded by a bright burning light, a sun of sorts, and I was rolling too, down a hill, a huge green soft grassy hill. I was pretty glad to be out of the doom and gloom and mist and haze. The warmth of the sun and the grass wrapped around me as I tumbled down the hill. I looked up from whence I came, but I saw no tree, I saw no trunk, I saw no glow. It was no matter, as I came flying down the hill, I caught a glimpse of a crystal waterfall, with several crystal shards thrusting from the grown. The shards caught the light of an unseen sun, and scattered the rays through the water and the droplets and the dew that fell on the grass. It was a magnificent sight, but I would not be seeing it for long.

I continued to slip and fall down this grassy hill, and after what seemed to be a minute, or maybe two, I landed flat on the ground and flat further on my face! I looked up and saw a sort of building, or maybe the opening of a building, a door or something, I couldn't be sure. There was a sign on the door, in blue and in neon, and I couldn't read it at all, and it made me mad that I couldn't read it. There was some figure that was standing near the door, but not at the door. He was covered in a hood of sorts, and he did not speak or raise his head, I saw not once his eyes or any features of his countenance. I saw a faint neon glow from within this place, and a fog rolling from the ground. I attempted to stand up in an efforr to enter this secret 'club', but just as I made my first step, I opened my eyes and found myself staring up at power lines, humming faintly and gently. Home.