Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern gays?
I'm about to become one, as you can see from my location description. Does the richness of LGBT culture in the South outweigh the increased homophobia? And don't tell me not to live in the South. I'm locked in at this point and there's nothing that I can do, so I might as well be positive about it. Arkansas is beautiful and I cannot wait to live there.

If you're in a college town then it's probably more liberal than the rest of the state so it may not be so bad (but keep that in mind if you go visit people elsewhere in the state, and that just because your college may be tolerant the local authorities may not be). And again, the cities are different from the rural regions.

As always, be cautious, and if you can then find a LGBT center to go to and ask what to expect there. No matter where you are in the world (even Iran) there are always places where gays manage to find each other and they learn the ways to blend in as much as necessary, but that all varies by locale...and who better to ask than the gays who reside where you're going?

I don't know about University of Arkansas or Fayetville, never been.

I do know about Auburn, which is in Alabama, and just 35 min away from me.

I go there A LOT.

I've kissed guys in the parking lot of restaurants there, I've walked down the street holding hands with a guy there. But it is a college town, which means more open minded than avg.

I would be very cautious doing either thing here.

Richard

Unless your going to live in or around a large city don't bother coming
the last time a town of 1000 in the south saw a minority the set them on fire and that kind of stuff

I have lived in the south nearly all my life, stay out of evangelical Christian churches you will be fine. You should visit eureka springs, apparently there is a large gay population in that town.

The south is just like anywhere else.

Arkansas, Georgia, and South Carolina are supposed to be the BIGGEST homo-hating states there are.
I would expect Alabama to be in there too, but I havent personally heard anything about that state yet.

Some parts of Texas still are in the "dark ages" too.

The one rule of true Southerners though.....we might not like you at first, but thats only because you havent proven what kind of person you are yet. Once you have proven you are a hardworking person who isnt into backstabbing, lying, cheating, and stealing.....then most Southerners will accept you flaws and all.

Now Im talking about REAL Southerners, not displaced people from other states or countries.

But as with all places now, its pretty much a trashcan of everything mixed in.