Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Wars
Star Wars
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJzDgEmOuzOIdOQrdllwp..._VsUDqJGXt]

George Lucas' original Star Wars movies were redone and re-imaged, changing the movies that were originally shown in theaters.

The "prequel" sequels to the original 3 were filmed and made in a different format, changing the whole "feel" of the series.

George Lucas sold the rights to Disney.

Disney has put into production "chapter Vll".

Disney brought on JJ Abrams as Director for "chapter Vll".

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog...ing-starts

Did George Lucas fuck it all up, as the die hard fans say he did?
Was "re-imaging" the original series a horrific thing for him to do?
Was selling the rights to Disney the WRONG thing to do?
Will Disney fuck it up even MORE?

What do you think????

Judging an artist's art often involves her methods and media, but in the end it's his art regardless.
People who take own a value akin to ownership of another's art and then take that for granted are just as screwy as when the artist shifts gears with the art and challenge's preconceived and stoutly beloved notions about it. I like what he did on all accounts mentioned and look forward to long life for the work. I think it's amazing how he let's it evolve and is successful on many fronts with it AND allows it to become more than his own art and beyond the comfort and confines of others expectations. I hope the very best wishes for the ensuing products. Xyxthumbs
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

George Lucas was the birth and death of Star Wars. He was instrumental in creating an epic story that changed the way movies were done from then on. His problem was that he got greedy. He started focusing on what would make him more money out of his creation instead of how to keep his legacy going. Now there's little of the original feel left, and all we are left with is flashy eye candy. There's no more art in it; there is only money.

As for Disney... we'll see. They will either resurrect the original or continue to be greedy bastards like Lucas was. Both are just as likely, and I'm not going to put my stock in either. I learned my lesson last time.

I agree with you VK but why is that such a bad thing? He created the art to make money, among other reasons and he was CRAZY successful at it. How is it greedy if he made it, it's his and he CAN make money. If he did NOT make as much as he could what would that be? Just asking because I personally don't blame him one single bit but I also know so many who are passionate about what you describe as some sort of abandonment or irresponsibility of some sort. Luvlove
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

CCRox Wrote:I agree with you VK but why is that such a bad thing? He created the art to make money, among other reasons and he was CRAZY successful at it. How is it greedy if he made it, it's his and he CAN make money. If he did NOT make as much as he could what would that be? Just asking because I personally don't blame him one single bit but I also know so many who are passionate about what you describe as some sort of abandonment or irresponsibility of some sort. Luvlove

Oh it's a good thing... for him. He's been extremely successful in making money, and I applaud him all the more for it. Unfortunately, it has screwed over his fanbase. That's where it becomes a bad thing. Those of us who fell in love with his work before now are faced with a new creation that has destroyed what we once loved. One person prospers at our loss. Good for him; bad for us.

And I do not entirely blame him, even though he was completely behind the more recent failures. I also blame the people working with him who never questioned anything he did. They share all of his blame.

I don't think anyone has to watch or care about the Disney adaptions if they don't want too. The original classics will always be just that, no matter how good (or bad) Disney's take on Star Wars is.

CCRox Wrote:Judging an artist's art often involves her methods and media, but in the end it's his art regardless.
People who take own a value akin to ownership of another's art and then take that for granted are just as screwy as when the artist shifts gears with the art and challenge's preconceived and stoutly beloved notions about it. I like what he did on all accounts mentioned and look forward to long life for the work. I think it's amazing how he let's it evolve and is successful on many fronts with it AND allows it to become more than his own art and beyond the comfort and confines of others expectations. I hope the very best wishes for the ensuing products. Xyxthumbs

But does an artist have the right to change a piece AFTER the fact? Especially after a fan base has been created on that work?

Did Picasso go back and "re-image" HIS works?
Did Van Gogh go back and "add a little more" to HIS works?
Did Leo Tolstoy go back and remove small incidentals from HIS works?

NO.

I don't care who the hell any artist thinks they are, once they have created a fan base on an original idealism, they have the right to keep it pure and in check.

If they want to create other things, fine. But you DO NOT FUCK with the originals!
Once you do that, you lose all respect anyone has ever had for you, except for those who worship the greed that follows.

A true artist is going to make money, period. An established artist does not have to worry about money, as it is a "given", as their works produce more than enough money for all those involved.

Artists of all kinds have a responsibility. Hell, even I don't dare change the way I make cakes....because my fans have come to expect my originality to be my standard of their expectations. And if I changed that, I'd be fucked, because nobody would want my cakes then.

[Image: jabba+the+hut+_a0befe70db6d39a144c86f9e346eb2e0.jpg]
[Image: h19F2DCEE]

The original films are classics ,altering and cleaning them up so they look better on screen was a good thing ,but then he started to go to far by continuing to change things over and over and even altering the storyline in the course of this.

The prequels were a misfire,he concentrated to much on the technology side of of things ,while sacrificing the characters and storyline.
He stated that the prequels were intended mainly for a young audience ,great in regards to Episode 1 but is Episode 3 really a film for young people?

Hopefully Disney will deliver,just have to wait and see.