Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stars At Night
So when you go outside at night and look up what all do you see?

At home sure I see some stars but not allot...the amount has deff decreased over time as more and more stuff had been built.
(I've never been able to see any of those "things" in the sky - with the exception of the 'big dipper' & used to see the 'little dipper' ... guess since i don't do drugs i don't have crazy visions LOL)
The milky way - um what's that? LOL (completely invisible/washed out by city lights Sad )

Now and then I go camping in the mountains away from all that city light (and i technically live outside city limits), and its shocking how much is 'missing' at home.
There was one night last year when I was camping and it was not only totally cloudless, but also no moon and :eek: WOW the stars, but most amazing was the milky way (at first glance i thought it was a cloud) I haven't seen it that clear in a long time

I live out in the country so I can see EVERYTHING. some nights after a storm if its a full moon you don't even need a flashlight, the moon light is bright enough by itself.

72jay Wrote:So when you go outside at night and look up what all do you see?

At home sure I see some stars but not allot...the amount has deff decreased over time as more and more stuff had been built.
(I've never been able to see any of those "things" in the sky - with the exception of the 'big dipper' & used to see the 'little dipper' ... guess since i don't do drugs i don't have crazy visions LOL)
The milky way - um what's that? LOL (completely invisible/washed out by city lights Sad )

Now and then I go camping in the mountains away from all that city light (and i technically live outside city limits), and its shocking how much is 'missing' at home.
There was one night last year when I was camping and it was not only totally cloudless, but also no moon and :eek: WOW the stars, but most amazing was the milky way (at first glance i thought it was a cloud) I haven't seen it that clear in a long time

I live in the state just to the north of you, in the suburbs of the largest city (tiny) of the state. I can see most of the stars, but when I am camping in the mts, I can see the milky way and everything else I cannot see in town.

I live in the mountains at home. and that really spured on my love of astronomy from an early age I would be outside at night observing.
I see a lot of stars. I miss them when I live in the city.

I live on a military base, an air base actually. There are TONS of lights and so I dont see many stars. I DO however get to see Orion.

Orion has been the one constant for me the past few years, no matter where I go or what I do I can go outside at night and he is up there for me Confusedmile:

I'm in the city so there is too much light pollution; I can see some of the brightest stars on a clear night though, but nothing in comparison to what I'd see out in the countryside. Too much cloud cover here aswell, it seems to be permanently cloudy!

@ceez It is pretty amazing how bright the full boon can be! I've seen it where you don't need a flashlight when in the mountains Smile (but brightest nights at home are those just after a snowstorm - when its still cloudy...all artificial light)

---
Wintereis? is gone?? Sad

---
@ChrisR005 I can totally see how living in the mountains (or countryside) could get a person into astronomy Smile (LOL one of these times i need to take my little telescope when going camping)

--

I think it has been a few years since I've seen a star in the sky, there's something sad about the fact that I haven't been outside a city in the past 3 years. Who needs fresh air when you have 24 hour convenience stores?

I admit that I do miss the stars. Living in the middle of a city famed for a certain form of weather means that they are usually hidden.

Pip, that really is sad. You seriously need to take a trip out of the city, go to the countryside, the coast, wherever.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

I do miss seeing all the stars. Grew up in the country and could see everything but now not so much.