Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stars At Night
I don't often see any stars being in the city Cry
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

I remember a family cottage we had up north in the mountains. an hour from any actual towns. you could see everything. the Milky Way, shooting stars..... And the Sky was so full of stars, It was breathtaking.

If you want to see stars, go to the cinema??? Wink

I grew up in Salt Lake City which is in a valley on the western side of the Rocky Mountains, and even with the city lights on a clear night the view from there is pretty good. I live now in TN in a city of about 300,000, and even though it's smaller than where I grew up I don't see as many stars, but I've gone from 4,600 feet to sea level so that's understandable. However, here in Afghanistan, where I'm at we are just under 7,000 feet, and there's just not much around because they only have reliable power in the cities so not much light pollution, and on a clear night the sky is absolutely fantastic. One of the very very few nice things about Afghanistan.
Richard

When you look at this picture, you don't really wonder why people in the United States (North America) and (parts of (Europe) don't see the stars so well at night. It could be that Japan's even worse off for light pollution.
I also heard on the radio just a couple of days ago that we'd gone past the 7 BN humans number and that now officially more than half of those humans lived in urban areas.
Here's the NASA pic: beautiful but crazy...

Click on it to have full view.[Image: earthlights2_dmsp_big.jpg]