Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Step One
Tomorrow is the 20th. The DADT repeal comes into effect and it will be the first time I've come out to anyone, publicly, ever. I'm looking forward to this but I'm also really really nervous as well.

After my shift tomorrow there will be a group of almost 30 service members getting together to both raise awareness and to form a type of support group and it's my intention to attend as my coming out of the closet. I'm in a fairly homophobic unit, the leadership more than my peers, so this may be somewhat detrimental but I am beyond caring anymore now that I have less than a year remaining in the army.

I thought I'd be all shaky and borderline neurotic, but as the hours go by I'm ending up a LOT more calmed down than I thought. I'm realizing that this will be a large weight off of my chest and I really can't wait. Just wanted to say that finding this site helped me a lot in this case, lots of good advice and friendly people. Thank you guys for helping me find the courage to do this!

Hello there,
Easiest thing to do is just think of it like this... Its two words.... Im Gay and once ya said it then go with the flow dont let any comments put you off and remember your just as good as em at a job regardless of sexuality x

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Confusedmile:

Hi Anosai, when I read your posting I wondered what "DADT repeal" was so I had to goggle it's a major victory for gay rights advocates as well as President Obama, in repealing the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy banning gay men and women from serving openly in the military. I wish you the very best for when you come out.

Almac Wrote:Hi Anosai, when I read your posting I wondered what "DADT repeal" was so I had to goggle it's a major victory for gay rights advocates as well as President Obama, in repealing the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy banning gay men and women from serving openly in the military. I wish you the very best for when you come out.

I probably should have specified, sorry. Thanks for all the well wishes so far, I'll let everyone know how it goes. Leaving for work in 4 hours and I still can't sleep Tongue

good luck
it is all about being able to do what you think is right

Good luck!! Wish I could be there to stand behind you.

Anosai Wrote:Tomorrow is the 20th. The DADT repeal comes into effect and it will be the first time I've come out to anyone, publicly, ever. I'm looking forward to this but I'm also really really nervous as well.

After my shift tomorrow there will be a group of almost 30 service members getting together to both raise awareness and to form a type of support group and it's my intention to attend as my coming out of the closet. I'm in a fairly homophobic unit, the leadership more than my peers, so this may be somewhat detrimental but I am beyond caring anymore now that I have less than a year remaining in the army.

I thought I'd be all shaky and borderline neurotic, but as the hours go by I'm ending up a LOT more calmed down than I thought. I'm realizing that this will be a large weight off of my chest and I really can't wait. Just wanted to say that finding this site helped me a lot in this case, lots of good advice and friendly people. Thank you guys for helping me find the courage to do this!

I admire your courage! And any other self respecting soldier will recognize the same in you.

Best,
LB.
Smile

Good luck! I hope things go well for you tomorrow Confusedmile:

I hope everything goes well for you.