Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Fry's engagement: what's wrong with age-gap relationships?
The thread title is not mine, but the headline of this article. I have seen an intense amount of discussion on social media today about the age difference of Stephen Fry and his boyfriend. Some are defending him. Others are tearing him apart.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/...ationships

There is quite an age difference in my relationship, although not quite this much. Another difference is that I, the younger in the relationship, was nearly 10 years older than Eliot Spencer when the relationship began. Most have never really given us a problem, but I found that relationships with big age differences are usually more easily accepted when the younger in the relationship is himself not so young.

For me...I have always naturally been most attracted to men 10 years + or -...it is nothing I planned ...I just kinda like guys in my general age group....

But I don't have an opinion about what other consenting adults decide to do with their lives...it is none of my business really and that is the way I see it. I fail to see why anyone thinks it is their business what other consenting adults do one way or the other.

I've always been attracted to older men also, [MENTION=18508]East[/MENTION] , although now that I am older the gap in years of attraction has somewhat narrowed. I remember in high school being attracted to not many fellow students, but found myself very attracted to my gym teacher, a big, burly muscle guy about 50yo.

Well.. It's just like my relationship, except we're not engaged.

I can see why people would think as they do, but it works just fine. Stephen Fry is a clever guy and I'm sure he has considered what needed considering.

I have no issue with this. Fry is 57. Spencer is 27. Hardly robbing the cradle.

I doubt if this is as much about sex as an intellectual and emotional compatibility....you'd have to have a pretty amazing mind to keep up with Stephen on any given day. I am delighted that one of the world's great humourists and essayists has found a life partner.

Wait...people are actually upset about this? Two consenting adults, who gives a shit?

I've only ever been attracted to guys nearer my age, so I don't get it, but I don't have to get it. It's not my business.

I'd be lying if I didn't say that younger guys (25-35) still are generally the ones who turn my head. My dude is 9 years younger, and I don't think I'd go too much further than that, but I'd be a hypocrite if I shamed this guy. Good on him.

I'm in that situation where everyone is judging about the age gap between my partner and I, but to be honest I couldn't care less... I just don't get people sometimes.

edhued Wrote:I'm in that situation where everyone is judging about the age gap between my partner and I, but to be honest I couldn't care less... I just don't get people sometimes.

I think there is a difference between judging someone's relationship because of an age difference and just not understanding how they work. Again, I don't really care but it's not for me.