Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blistering barnacles - John Ryan's been scuppered
Nothing to do with anything much, but I've just seen the news that John Ryan has died in hospital at the age of 88.

John was the creator of the Captain Pugwash stories and television animations of my childhood. I had the great privilege of working alongside him several times, particularly during the 1980s/1990s and he was a lovely man, a real gentleman, and I am the proud owner of a sketch he once did for me of his famous pirate character.

Some people may have heard of the sexually suggestive spoof characters that somehow found their way into public consciousness. These were apparently invented by musician/entertainer Richard Digence and perpetuated by The Guardian until a court injunction and a libel case sorted it out. I know that John was very upset that everyone thought that he had created such smutty innuendo. To have done so would have been utterly out of character.

Anyway, for years of reading pleasure for generations of younger and older people ... cheers, John. Suffering seagulls!