Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stephen Fry voted top choice to replace 'expenses scandal' Commons Speaker who quit
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/sfry.jpg[/img2]Stephen Fry has been named as the top celebrity choice to take over the role of Speaker of the House of Commons after Michael Martin was forced to resign this week over MPs' expenses.

Martin took 34 seconds to announce he was stepping down from the role on Wednesday. A number of MPs had openly criticised him for failing to grasp public opinion on the scandal.

A survey of 2,000 people found that veteran broadcaster Fry, who gave his own opinion on the scandal this week, was the top man for the job.

It's not the first time Fry has topped such a poll - in April, he was voted as the preferred patron saint of England.

Jeremy Clarkson came in second place, with Jeremy Paxman and Anne Robinson following. Voters evidently felt a touch of humour was necessary in the Commons, judging by the number of comedians in the top ten.

Chatshow host Jeremy Kyle was ranked sixth, with Jonathan Ross at number ten.

The list in full:
1. Stephen Fry
2. Jeremy Clarkson
3. Jeremy Paxman
4. Anne Robinson
5. John Cleese
6. Jeremy Kyle
7. Russell Brand
8. Janet Street Porter
9. Jimmy Carr
10. Jonathan Ross
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Aren't both houses already stuffed with comedians? :frown:

lol good point! hehe I'd personally liked to have seen Alan Carr on the list too! :biggrin:
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

I'm sorry to sound old before my time....

Who is it that keeps doing these idiotic surveys just to generate a quick news story?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.