Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storm Chasing
(04-22-2020, 05:03 PM)InbetweenDreams Wrote: @"princealbertofb" looks like you quoted me but...I don't see what you said...should be able to edit/delete post in the first 60 minutes after posting... But anyway, welcome back! Smile
I think I was trying to delete your post while answering it. I said something to the effect that it was a cool activity to do and I didn't know whether I'd have the motivation or courage to do such a thing. Great pictures by the way.
[-] The following 1 member Likes princealbertofb's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

Loved Twister when I saw it in theaters, the flying cow was awesome. Never thought that could be a hobby or a vacation. The pictures are amazing @InbetweenDreams. I’m glad the danger-area for Tornadoes stops just north of Orlando.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

(04-23-2020, 12:51 AM)Bhp91126 Wrote: Loved Twister when I saw it in theaters, the flying cow was awesome. Never thought that could be a hobby or a vacation. The pictures are amazing @InbetweenDreams. I’m glad the danger-area for Tornadoes stops just north of Orlando.

I have weird interests.

But seriously, people who grew up and saw that movie as a kid go into the meteorology field or do storm chasing. I never thought I would see so many people in the middle of nowhere in Nebraska.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
[-] The following 1 member Likes InbetweenDreams's post:
  • Cridders88

I'd love to go storm chasing! Meteorology has always fascinated me and I love the raw power of mother nature. I love tracking hurricanes from behind the safety of a computer screen but I have to say, part of me wants to experience one first hand. Same goes for tornadoes. Those are some fantastic shots and I thought I would drop a reply here to say I completely get it @InbetweenDreams . A destructive force, but one I am in awe of.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Cridders88's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

(04-24-2020, 12:11 AM)Cridders88 Wrote: I'd love to go storm chasing! Meteorology has always fascinated me and I love the raw power of mother nature. I love tracking hurricanes from behind the safety of a computer screen but I have to say, part of me wants to experience one first hand. Same goes for tornadoes. Those are some fantastic shots and I thought I would drop a reply here to say I completely get it @InbetweenDreams . A destructive force, but one I am in awe of.

I don't think I would want to experience a Hurricane. I'm good for about an hour and would want out but you can't with those. You're stuck in it the entire time. Also the storm surge is a big problem, you really have to know where to position yourself. I'll leave that one up to Reed Timmer (a well known Storm Chaser in the US).

Tornadoes. Hell yeah, if you ever get the nerve fly over here to do it let me know I really want to do it again. Tornadoes in the plains, especially in the middle of no where, as long as you maintain situational awareness you'll likely be safe. Hail is a common problem, so glass could be an issue.... Also why I might get a rental next time, not my car, not my rear window getting busted out.

I'm not one who would want to get up close like Pecos Hank did, you can get away with that when you do it for 20 years....

"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!
  • Cridders88

(04-26-2020, 03:04 AM)InbetweenDreams Wrote:
(04-24-2020, 12:11 AM)Cridders88 Wrote: I'd love to go storm chasing! Meteorology has always fascinated me and I love the raw power of mother nature. I love tracking hurricanes from behind the safety of a computer screen but I have to say, part of me wants to experience one first hand. Same goes for tornadoes. Those are some fantastic shots and I thought I would drop a reply here to say I completely get it @InbetweenDreams . A destructive force, but one I am in awe of.

I don't think I would want to experience a Hurricane. I'm good for about an hour and would want out but you can't with those. You're stuck in it the entire time. Also the storm surge is a big problem, you really have to know where to position yourself. I'll leave that one up to Reed Timmer (a well known Storm Chaser in the US).

Tornadoes. Hell yeah, if you ever get the nerve fly over here to do it let me know I really want to do it again. Tornadoes in the plains, especially in the middle of no where, as long as you maintain situational awareness you'll likely be safe. Hail is a common problem, so glass could be an issue.... Also why I might get a rental next time, not my car, not my rear window getting busted out.

I'm not one who would want to get up close like Pecos Hank did, you can get away with that when you do it for 20 years....

Oh gawd yeah, you would need to be mega careful with where to set up base with a hurricane. I have heard of Reed Timmer. One I follow more is Josh Morgerman. He recently did a very good TV series called Hurricane Man. Made me want to do a hurricane chase even more!

That video is insane! At the same time, what a rush. I guess with storm chasing comes big risks, but at the same time, big reward.
[-] The following 1 member Likes Cridders88's post:
  • InbetweenDreams

The subject of storm chasing must have lodged in my subconscious somewhere, as I witnessed a tornado in a dream I had this morning whilst snoozing my alarm  Big Grin

I don't remember what exactly was going on, I just remember the sinking feeling of panic as I was watching it. It was quite far away but close enough to worry me. I think the shock of seeing it actually woke me up!
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>
[-] The following 1 member Likes Bookworm's post:
  • Cridders88

i love seeing them in movies but i dont want a Tornado in Yorkshire UK - it would really spoil my day

(04-28-2020, 09:50 PM)matty7 Wrote: i love seeing them in movies but i dont want a Tornado in Yorkshire UK - it would really spoil my day

It would probably be very bizarre to see one anywhere in the UK.

You know people from all over come to the US to see these things in the plains. There's sort of a tourism industry around it... Although one of the tour vans did get rolled over from kind of getting in the path.

Look how dark it was...lucky I didn't hydroplane. This is what happens when the road network is a grid and the storm is moving 55 MPH to the north east...You really can't keep up and you aren't going to keep up in this stuff...

This is one of my clips...

Check out my stuff!
  • Bookworm

Those rain wrapped ones are the worst. It could be anywhere and you wouldn't see it until last minute!

Were you tracking it on radar?
<<<<I'm just consciousness having a human experience>>>>