Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Subtle Advertising?
Fairly sure about being gay, and I'll post an introduction soon, but I wanted to first pose a question to the forum.

My Mother and a few close friends already know, and I'm thinking of dropping some subtle hints rather than flatly coming out to some people. Cool

The question regards putting a sticker on my car. Has anyone ever put a sticker on their car that could keep people guessing? I mean like Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon prism/rainbow, or the Grateful Dead's multi colored dancing teddy bears or rainbow lightening bolt, or something else that I haven't thought of.

Eventually I'll probably just come straight (pardon the pun) out and admit that I'm gay, but I'd like to warm up to that rather than just going for it.
Thanks!
Sport77Confusedmile:

Hello, Sport77, and Welcome to GaySpeak. We look forward to your introduction post.

Not sure that the bumper stickers you are mentioning will get you identified as gay rather than as a pop music fan... but you can always try. As a matter of fact, depending on how anti-gay your state is (Arizona?), I wonder if it's a good idea to advertise your sexual orientation on something so public as a car. It might get trashed by gay bashers, but then that's a risk you may want to take.

I'm sure there are plenty of subtle ways of letting people know that you're gay rather than straight but the only people you really want knowing this is people who are actually interested in you for any kind of relationship that you'd want to be honest. Does the whole world need to know? That's for you to decide...

Hope you write your introduction post soon... I'm curious.

I doubt those bumper stickers would say more than "Hey I'm a fan" to most people. Rainbows don't always mean gay.

A better way might be to casually comment on well dressed or handsome men. Still not saying your gay but, showing you do see the good things in another man's appearance.

We used to have a pride sticker on my dad's old car, but it kept getting keyed. Gah.

What Pip is mentioning is the sort of unwanted publicity that you'd want for your car.... see what I mean?

My partner - or whatever you want to call it - used to have a rainbow 'apple' as in Apple Computers which was versatile some would snicker and point at the 'gay' others would snicker and say 'God, can't do anything with a Mac!'....

I had a rainbow sticker on my truck- well that worked well until Prop 22 and all the ugliness came pouring out of the sewers. I scraped it off and haven't bothered with any more markers on truck or car. Paint jobs are expensive....Keying seems to be a popular sport of the anti-gay crowd. Idiots.

As such I keep my personal tastes to myself, no advertising.

I'm out - openly gay - but not to the point where I walk up and say "Hi, I'm David, I'm the village's gay - pleased to meet you."

I don't bother to try to hide it and when asked point blank I will nod my head. I'm also what is called straight acting, so I may be keeping some people guessing - that is ultimately their problem, not mine.

Friends and family know I'm bent as opposed to straight. Many of my clients have guessed, of course its kind of hard to keep it a secret if you take your partner or whatever you want to call it with you to job sites and introduce it as 'my partner'... Of course many assume business partners... People can be really dense when they choose to be.

Dude, you should start wearing a rainbow cape. That'd be pretty cool. Though might not be the best of ideas.

Just do whatever will make you feel comfortable with the way you're coming out!

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:My partner - or whatever you want to call it - used to have a rainbow 'apple' as in Apple Computers which was versatile some would snicker and point at the 'gay' others would snicker and say 'God, can't do anything with a Mac!'....

I had a rainbow sticker on my truck- well that worked well until Prop 22 and all the ugliness came pouring out of the sewers. I scraped it off and haven't bothered with any more markers on truck or car. Paint jobs are expensive....Keying seems to be a popular sport of the anti-gay crowd. Idiots.

As such I keep my personal tastes to myself, no advertising.

I'm out - openly gay - but not to the point where I walk up and say "Hi, I'm David, I'm the village's gay - pleased to meet you."

I don't bother to try to hide it and when asked point blank I will nod my head. I'm also what is called straight acting, so I may be keeping some people guessing - that is ultimately their problem, not mine.

Friends and family know I'm bent as opposed to straight. Many of my clients have guessed, of course its kind of hard to keep it a secret if you take your partner or whatever you want to call it with you to job sites and introduce it as 'my partner'... Of course many assume business partners... People can be really dense when they choose to be.

IT, David??? Naughty man! Rolleyes

Well, people who I know and am friendly with, have always said they never even had to wonder, because it seems as if though I have a "dainty" or "gentle" quality, which I personally don't see. Plus they say I express myself a lot through my hair and the hairstyles I had/get. Which I guess is a big indicator for being gay (insert sarcasm here lol).

But recently, I've taken to wearing multi-coloured bands on my fingers and arms, but not initially as a way to say; "hey, I'm gay", but it just worked out that way.

My friend also said I look too feminine to be straight -.- ... Luckily emasculating me doesn't work! :p

You should only do what you feel is most comfortable for you. Because ultimately whatever foundation you lay for your life, will affect the proverbial house that is your life. Don't rush building your house, otherwise it'll be shakey and might fall.

Loveya