Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sweden approves gay marriage
Now Iowa, yes Iowa, is going to allow same sex marriage.

Amazing.

more

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjp999 [Image: viewpost.gif]
Of course was just a joke since over here the conservatives are always going on how lawless the Europeans are and how gay marriage has destroyed the family and church Clap

Oddly we Europeans consider the US to be lawless due to your lack of hand gun control, murder rate, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjp999 [Image: viewpost.gif]
wanna explain why going up in arms and all fred? will we get to see you bashing in some starbucks windows Luvkiss

Why, because a 'European Super State' would, effectively, be a conquering of my own country, albeit bloodless. Starbucks is entirely safe from me, it has done nothing to support a 'European Super State'.

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Are you asking us to flame you, why you gotta bring up things that have nothing to do with the topic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredv3b [Image: viewpost.gif]
Oddly we Europeans consider the US to be lawless due to your lack of hand gun control, murder rate, etc.

Oddly enough our murder rate is probably lower than one would think:

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country (NationMaster - Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country)

#1 Colombia: 0.617847 per 1,000 people
#2 South Africa: 0.496008 per 1,000 people
#3 Jamaica: 0.324196 per 1,000 people

before hitting the USA we go thru 8 European countries (4 in the top ten) then:

#24 United States: 0.042802 per 1,000 people

even surprised me Baby2

Thank you for making the point so I don't have to

Anyway. back to the subject

We have several states that allow gay amrriage here, unfortunately the federal government passed an unconstitutional law that basically annuls them.

Once someone gets the balls to challenge DOMA it will be struck down by the US Supremem Court as it is in blatant Violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Ammendment.

Til then gays have to suffer unfortunately in the US, but at least we have Constitutional protections in place even if our politicians suck.

ardus Wrote:Are you asking us to flame you, why you gotta bring up things that have nothing to do with the topic?

Apologies but just replying to fjp999 and Marshy regarding we we in Europe haven't got this all sorted already.

ardus Wrote:Anyway. back to the subject

We have several states that allow gay amrriage here, unfortunately the federal government passed an unconstitutional law that basically annuls them.

Once someone gets the balls to challenge DOMA it will be struck down by the US Supremem Court as it is in blatant Violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Ammendment.

Til then gays have to suffer unfortunately in the US, but at least we have Constitutional protections in place even if our politicians suck.

If such a challenge to DOMA were so easy, why hasn't it been done already?
Fred

ardus Wrote:... Are you asking us to flame you, why you gotta bring up things that have nothing to do with the topic? ...
Don't panic, Ardus. Wink If I feel the thread I introduced is being too dangerously side-tracked, I'll do my best to nudge it back on course. As it is, a little ebb and flow is perfectly acceptable.

fredv3b Wrote:Apologies but just replying to fjp999 and Marshy regarding we we in Europe haven't got this all sorted already.

If such a challenge to DOMA were so easy, why hasn't it been done already?

Don't know if the whole quote got into there.

The political reality of my country is embarassing to me, I would like to put that out there.

But, now that President Obama has been elected I hope that there is a chance GLBT rights will be paid attention to

It will certainly decide wether I will vote to re-elect President Obama

Richard

Right ardus I to will decide whether I will vote to re-elect President Obama but will consider the whole of his works not just one thing.

Things still hotting up in the USA, but the situation is very complicated. Washington DC has apparently voted 12:1 in favour of recognising same sex marriages carried out in other US states, but the approval of Congress is required before it the law can be amended. Former mayor, Marion Berry, who has up to now been an advocate of gay rights was the only dissenting voice. The reason seems purely political. The churches and the local black community are overwhelming not in favour.
Quote:He defended the voting against the measure as being in the best interests of his constituents: "What you've got to understand is 98 percent of my constituents are black and we don't have but a handful of openly gay residents.

more

In the meantime the authorities in Rhodes have annulled two same-sex marriages carried out on Tilos.

My state of Washington (not DC) Just the other day Passed legislation recognizing Gay union the same as those that are married. One step closer.

marshlander Wrote:Things still hotting up in the USA, but the situation is very complicated. Washington DC has apparently voted 12:1 in favour of recognising same sex marriages carried out in other US states, but the approval of Congress is required before it the law can be amended. Former mayor, Marion Berry, who has up to now been an advocate of gay rights was the only dissenting voice. The reason seems purely political. The churches and the local black community are overwhelming not in favour.

Two points. As I understand it the decision of the DC Council does not need APPROVAL, but congress can over-ride it, if it sees fit. (Can anyone confirm this?) The importance of this distinction is that Congressmen do not have to be seen to vote for Gay Marriage, they can just sit on their hands. As for Marion Berry, I really think a man on his 4th marriage should keep his mouth shut about other people's marriages.
Fred

[COLOR="Purple"]Seems they do need approval according to this article:

DC Council gives final approval to recognize same-sex marriages from other states

Quote:The issue now goes before Congress, which has final say over the city’s laws.

another article: GlobeGazette.com :: DC council approves same-sex marriage legislation

Quote:The vote is considered the first step toward eventually allowing gay marriages to be performed in Washington. Congress, which has final say over the city’s laws, will get 30 days to review the bill assuming Democratic Mayor Adrian Fenty, a supporter, signs it. If Congress takes no action, the bill will become law automatically. President Barack Obama and congressional leaders have not signaled where they stand.
[/COLOR]