Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swine influenza
I'm just wondering if anyone has a less emotive and more informed response than current news bulletins are encouraging. I know we have at least one qualified medical professional on these boards.

So what steps would be reasonable to minimise the risk to myself and to others as I try to go about my normal business ... and don't say, "Stay indoors" ... yet, please! Is it really just a case of coughing and sneezing into a tissue, throwing it away after each use and washing my hands frequently? Would a Japanese-style surgical-mask actually make a difference?

Just seen this:

Quote:
Some experts have questioned the wisdom of depleting stocks of anti-viral drugs to battle H1N1, which outside Mexico has caused largely mild symptoms.
Masato Tashiro, head of the influenza virus research centre at Japan's National Institute of Infectious Disease and a member of the WHO emergency committee, said: 'The virus is relatively weak and about the same as regular influenza viruses passed on via human-to-human contact. I don't believe it will become virulent.
'The threat to health from the avian influenza and its fatality rate is much greater than the new flu.
'I am very worried that we will use up the stockpile of anti-flu medicine and be unarmed before we need to fight against the avian influenza. The greatest threat to mankind remains the H5N1 avian influenza.'

[COLOR="Purple"]marsh, again, hoping this thing is just gonna soon disappear. Some are saying that if it was stronger it would have shown itself in greater numbers.

Official word here is:

If you can stay away from crowded, close confines then do so.

Wash your hands often. The virus has to get into your lungs to infect you. We tend to touch our faces a lot with our hands and it is easy to transfer the virus into your lungs with your hands.

I have heard different things about the masks... one group believes they are useful and the other not. Some believe that those infected should be the only ones wearing them. That is what happens in Japan. If you are infected and concerned about infecting others you wear one.

I would guess a pharmacist would know if they have a mask that would prevent the virus from entering your lungs.[/COLOR]

I have a sore throught coming on maybe its the flu beginning!!

Whats the symptoms of it anyway?

Found this funny article on the net so thought I should share it. . .

61% of you will almost certainly survive swine flu, says Brown

[Image: gordon-brown.jpg]
The UK is one of the best prepared countries to deal with swine flu and “all action necessary” will be taken to stop its spread, Gordon Brown has said.
With public fear escalating, the Government has been quick to use facts and figures to reassure those worried about contracting the virus.
“We have enough anti-viral medication for 33 million people,” said the Prime Minister.
“So only 27 million or so of you will drown in your own bodily fluid after it builds up in your lungs over a period of several excruciating days.”
Rebuilding
The remaining 61% of the population will be relied upon to rebuild a society a bit like in that programme Survivors, only with a lot more people having survived.
“There are some tough choices ahead, for sure.” said Health Secretary Alan Johnson.
“We have to pick the 33 million people that best represent our chances of rebuilding a sustainable society.”
“I’m afraid this is bad news if you collect trolleys for a living, or work for a tabloid newspaper.”
“I would also suggest that if you have lots of children, it is probably time to pick your favourite two.”

fjp999 Wrote:Well, it could be true but THE guy would have had to kiss the pig Remybussi

Oh I've kissed many a pig in my time I can tell you........

Pandemic imminent !

One thing that gets me is our government say they have enough anti-virul doses to cover around three quarters of the population and yet swine flu is supposed to be a new strain. So how can they already have the anti-virul doses??

marshlander Wrote:Would a Japanese-style surgical-mask actually make a difference?

Apparently not, one expert says they become moist with the heat of the breath and become traps for germs..

I personally wouldn't like to wear one !

CardShark Wrote:I have a sore throught coming on maybe its the flu beginning!!

Whats the symptoms of it anyway?
More likely "man-flu" than swine flu Rolleyes

Get well soon, Card.

I think i've got it as i'm covered in rashersRofl

Latitude22 Wrote:I heard somewhere that it originated from a guy doing the "deed" with a pig. That true?

CardShark Wrote:Simple answer no.

Star Twister Wrote:Oh I've kissed many a pig in my time I can tell you........

Lol2 TOO MUCH INFO Lol2

Star Twister Wrote:Pandemic imminent !

One thing that gets me is our government say they have enough anti-virul doses to cover around three quarters of the population and yet swine flu is supposed to be a new strain. So how can they already have the anti-virul doses??

[COLOR="Purple"]Because it is bull... they are passing out, well come countries/docs, a very dangerous medication which is unproven to do anything... there are hypothesis and monies to be made.

I had the lucky chance to visit the hospital today. There was a sign outside the hospital inner door (every entrance had one) describing the symptoms of the flu and the swine flu. Both are exactly the same but some with the H1N1 have more sever symptoms...

Next to the sign was a box of masks. The signage also included who should wear the masks. Only for those infected or with symptoms should put on the mask before entering. When they enter the hospital masked they should immediately report to a nurse.

I took a handful of masks and a pic but have to be on the other computer for that camera...[/COLOR]