Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sydney Hostage Crisis
The hostage crisis in Sydney is finally over but I have a feeling the number of these terrorists acts is going to increase in the near future.

I'm not an expert on terrorism but the logistics of it seem very simple: all you need is a madman with a weapon.

My condolences to the families of the victims.

More on this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-30473983

Calling them "madmen" is what people do when they don't understand the things others do. I'm not saying anything bad about calling guys like this madman. In fact it might be best for most people to do that. If most people really took the time to understand what motivates people like this they'd be nervous wrecks.

Count on more of them like this worldwide.

i don't understand what motivates people like this either. international exposure? do they wanna take over Australia? what the fuck?

meridannight Wrote:i don't understand what motivates people like this either. international exposure? do they wanna take over Australia? what the fuck?

Absolutely, Honey.

That's the insanity of it all: these acts are not just barbaric, they are completely pointless and useless, too.

the scary thing about this also is the coward who did this horrible act has allegedly 40 + sexual assault charges against him and is suspected of a plot to kill his ex wife.....why was this deviant even out in society - as out of touch with reality that judges are, didn't the one sitting at the hearing of his 39th sex assault charge realise that there's a little pattern appearing here !!!!! the dumb ass Judges should be locked up for freeing this maniac to kill innocent law abiding citizens

matty7 Wrote:the scary thing about this also is the coward who did this horrible act has allegedly 40 + sexual assault charges against him and is suspected of a plot to kill his ex wife.....why was this deviant even out in society - as out of touch with reality that judges are, didn't the one sitting at the hearing of his 39th sex assault charge realise that there's a little pattern appearing here !!!!! the dumb ass Judges should be locked up for freeing this maniac to kill innocent law abiding citizens

sorry, but preventative punishment is not the answer or solution to this either.

i don't have the statistics on how many men with more than 39 sexual assault charges to their name are not terrorists, i don't even have the statistics on how many people like that are out there in the world, but i doubt this is a clear characteristic to judge by. and the two don't deserve to be thrown into the same box. there is a clear line between them and that should be maintained. we start blurring that we're in trouble.

it's not criminal history itself that breeds terrorism. it's religious fanaticism and some form of mental disturbance, if not to say mental illness, mostly. and i imagine also exposure to certain sources/influence. some of the terrorists that have popped up in the news past few years had no previous criminal history to their name.

what the developed world at large should do, is train special forces to deal with these kinds of situations, and to keep the general public educated. this is an issue that is obviously not a few minor isolated incidents. it keeps happening again and again and again in various parts of the world, by different individuals. there is some common denominator to such a behavior. that should be identified and dealt with.

The dude was so clearly off his rocker. He sent hate mail to families of fallen soldiers or something. And Australia gave him asylum in the first place. They should have committed or deported his ass after those letters...

sorry, but preventative punishment is not the answer or solution to this either

I understand your argument but as far as the authorities are aware this guy has no actual links to any terrorist group - he is just a disturbed crackpot - I don't believe your statement though is correct in my personal opinion only - I believe if he was locked away after any of his alleged sexual assaults let only 40 + then no other women would have been attacked after that date if he were in prison, plus he wouldn't be free to carry out this attack in Sydney

shoulda, woulda, coulda.

if he had been in jail before the fact, we wouldn't know any of it. wouldn't it be nice if we knew the future and got to lock away the criminals before they committed crimes? although Minority Report already tried to give a glimpse into what that might be like, and i suspect we wouldn't get anywhere with that either.

and some guys actually might be in jail now, or died off in jail, before they got to the point this guy did. this doesn't show the failure of the penal system. our jails are full of criminals who would commit all kinds of things were they not in jail. nothing is 100% foolproof. you can't catch them all even if you could catch them before the fact, which you can't.

and this is not the underlying cause. it would be a safer world if we could do what you proposed, but i think that is wishful thinking.

your right with wishful thinking - I wish we could pin point from the ones who just legitimately protest their views. values and beliefs. which in todays society should be allowed to ones who who just go off the deep end and kill innocent people - its just an impossible task

I see the Taliban have also committed a terror attack now killing over 80 children in school - no justification whatsoever with that type of barbarism