Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System restore error
Hey boys,hope you can help me out.Lately,my notebook has been running very s-l-o-w-l-y and I thought I'd fix this by restoring my machine to early last month.Problem is whenever I run system restore I get an error message telling me that system restore has been turned off and I should contact the domain administrator.Who is the domain admin?Strange since I'm the only user.I tried turning it on myself but the system restore option seems to have vanished.

hmm i dont understand what your error message means maybe is the manifacturer or someone in IT it says to contact...:confused:
When your system runs slow you should try to check for viruses and especially for spywares. Lavasoft's free software 'ad-aware' is a good program to scan for spywares and so is 'spybot', you can find both at download.com

If your on Windows XP then I can help, if you are on Vista then you're screwed, cause I refuse to install it not again.

First check if you can switch it on the normal way:

Press and hold the windows key and press pause break, this will opent he system properties; click on system restore and ensure the box that says switch off system restore for all drives is cleared if its ticked then untick it and press apply, the word 'monitoring' should appear next to each drive.

If you can't switch it on or off there then the service may have been disabled.

To re-enable the service you need to use Administrative tools. To keep this simple click start then run and type:

services.msc

Press ok.
STOP: The screen you see before you can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing, you could switch some things off that'll cause you a headache later so for now just ignore everything.

On the right hand side where the services are listed, scroll down to System Restore Service. Right click it and go to properties. Next under start type change it to Automatic. press apply. Then you can press start to start the service. It should run now.

You won't be able to restore your computer to a time when your computer had SR witched off. Plus SR doesn't get rid of most viruses.

Reply with any more error messages you recieve.

Prince_Of_Narnia Wrote:If your on Windows XP then I can help ...
Wow! Princes on white chargers really do exist! Wink

Oh man,I'm fucked.Firstly,there was no Run option,had to first enter in Safe Mode for it to appear.I followed your instructions Prince and when I started SR it says
Quote:The System Restore Service service on Local Computer started and then stopped.Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do,for example the Performance Logs and Alerts service.
.The System Restore tab seems to have simply disappeared under System Properties.

That message is because System Restore won't run in Safe Mode.

Repeat everything I said in my last post except where it says click start then run instead right click the desktop and click new shortcut and type

services.msc

Then use the shortcut to get to services. You need to do this in Normal windows mode not safe mode

But Prince,Run doesn't appear on the Start menu when it's in normal mode.I had to enter in Safe Mode for it to appear.Except for the Start menu route,is there another way of open Run?Thanks for the advice,you've given so far.

let me guess you have vista... if you have it then you have to right click on the start menu button and click on properties, then click on customize and it will appear a list, follow it down until you reach the run command click on the box and then ok at the bottom of the window.
now you'll have the run option on your start menu

I use XP Ang but thanks for the recommendation.I'll try it when I get home.

Dan1089 Wrote:But Prince,Run doesn't appear on the Start menu when it's in normal mode.I had to enter in Safe Mode for it to appear.Except for the Start menu route,is there another way of open Run?Thanks for the advice,you've given so far.

Do you own your pc? :confused:
The whole 'no permission' and run link being missing are very strange.
It's the kind of thing you get on work / uni computers as we don't have access to run and if you try to install stuff you get that administrator rights restricted and no permission error thing.

Very strange. Try adding a new user:
Control Panel > User Accounts > Change Account and select yours see if you can edit your user details - click on Change Account Type and check its on 'Computer Administrator'. If that's ok, try adding a new user and making them 'computer administrator' too and then log on as the new user and see if run then appears etc.

If not, I guess you could format and reinstall - but *shrug*. Good luck Confusedmile: