Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tackling hate crime in Derby
I've just spent a couple of days working at a school in Derby. To my surprise, on entering the staff room, there was a rainbow beflagged leaflet on the table outlining the city's policy statement on lgbt equality. This is the first time I have ever seen any such statement so prominently displayed in any school.

Coming home tonight from a meeting I heard the news that two men, Razwan Javed and Kabir Ahmed, will be appearing in court tomorrow charged with stirring up hatred on the grounds of sexual orientation. This will be the first time the new laws have been tested and the charges relate to a leaflet, The Death Penalty?, which was distributed outside the Jamia Mosque in Derby in July last year.

Whilst the alleged activities of these two men are utterly abhorrent, hats off to Derby for tackling the issue.

BBC News - Pair charged with stirring up homophobic hatred

As the first case of a 'new' crime of which I am deeply suspicious I will watch the case with great interest.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

this is a great start.