Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
there's too manyhumans imo
Dreamer Wrote:Nice try, but you're comparing apples and oranges.

Not knowing the ins and outs of computer systems can't be compared to the psychological trauma that would be induced from killing, skinning, gutting, and butchering an animal that most people who eat meat today would probably experience, had they been forced to do it, before ever eating another animal product again.

I can imagine the difficultly of putting a computer together, without ever doing it, while knowing it wouldn't weigh heavy on my conscience, if I'd failed to do so; I would still be able to use a computer without having flashbacks or guilt for not knowing where to stick the RAM on my motherboard.

I can imagine the screams and bloodcurdling noises of an animal dying, while twitching or convulsing into a tragic death, without ever doing it, would weigh very heavy on my conscience, and traumatize the fuck out of me for a very long time, to where I couldn't look at a delicious steak or chicken on my plate ever again.

Fair point. So, assuming you had an instantaneous and painless way to slaughter the animal, it would be okay, correct?

davearoo Wrote:Fair point. So, assuming you had an instantaneous and painless way to slaughter the animal, it would be okay, correct?

Not necessarily... I'm sure it would make things easier for me, but like most people, I'm not build to witness death, "instantaneously" or not, and experiencing the contrast between life and death occurring by my own hand would be too much to bear; I couldn't live with myself... Being in the presence of an animal dying, "painlessly" or not, wouldn't put me at ease whatsoever. Slaughtering an animal's corpse to harvest it's meat, while sifting through the innards, no matter how quick and easy, wouldn't take away the smells or textures I'd witness through such a visually gory process.

If someone can deal with doing such a thing, without being traumatized, even a little, and have no remorse whatsoever, I have no problem with them eating all the meat they want. They understand and appreciate the reality of what it takes to get that meat on their dinner plate. Most people don't give it a second thought; the implications of what they are contributing to because they only see meat as a product, easily bought at a fast food chain or store, and not something that used to live, move around, and breathe. They don't see the eyes, nose, or mouth of the face... anything that represents a life-form... just some nicely packaged meal.

Dreamer Wrote:I follow a raw vegan lifestyle for health reasons.

Mind you, I'm not your stereotypical fascist vegan who condemns people for eating meat at annoying levels.

I understand that people enjoy the taste of meat, and have no problem with people eating it, unless they can't kill, slaughter, gut, and skin the animals that they are about to eat without losing their appetite in the process, without being traumatized by the brutal nature of killing an animal....... if they're too much of a pussy to handle that, then they shouldn't enjoy the privilege of eating animal flesh... that's my philosophy on the topic.

So then... you are almost the stereotypical vegan, because i can assure you that 80% of people who eat meat do not slaughter their own meat. Most people go to grocery stores to get their meat, or local butcher shops.

The difference is I'm guessing you aren't annoying about it, but you DID say that the exception to being such is basically the majority of the population... At least in first and second world countries