Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking about yourself
Emiliano Wrote:Without going into the details.... What category of things do you leave as private, vs what you are willing to share?

Its not so much a "this but not that" but rather telling people stuff without telling too much about a particular subject, I think the only subject that I point blank don't discuss any details about is my sex life and what does/doesn't go on there. Think of it as an open book with pages ripped out of every chapter.

I've worked with people who've literally trusted me so much that they've practically exposed themselves to me (not like that haha) with the vast personal information that they've told me. Its scary that people could be so much like that, telling people everything about yourself not only gives others ammo when the friendships/relationships go wrong but it can go as far as to help someone commit fraud in that persons name.

walls. huge walls.

being open gets you hurt.

Emiliano Wrote:Axle: Do you see it as vulnerability?

Yes and no. No because some people see it that you're very honest and outgoing (although I don't consider myself outgoing AT ALL). Some people find the things I do, hobbies for instance interesting... Other people may think you're full of yourself. Just depends, but just goes to show you can't please everyone.

Yes because people get the wrong idea about things about you despite attempting to be transparent and open. Then you got your sociopaths and psychos who like to pick you apart so they know how to attack you, win an argument, get you fired, trick you into saying something. When you open yourself up you're inviting for someone to come in, that could be a good thing or a very bad thing.

On my personal experience, well hard to say. I think I have been fairly fortunate to not have had worse luck. I want to keep saying it's this place, it's this place. But I have found that opening up about how I feel either weeds people out or gets me no where. I am either expressing myself too much or not enough, either I'm not open enough when people try forcing it out of me, other times I'm far too afraid to express my feelings to someone, directly, because of the fear of rejection. On the other hand, foolishly, I have been known to "wear my heart on my sleeve."

The more I think about it, I feel that the less I say, to a point, the better. I don't think telling someone how much and why I like them made any difference in the end frankly. At the same time so did shutting up. I guess there's balance somewhere in between, an island of stability? Mind you I am speaking of dating, relationships...love if that is a real thing...I assume you're regarding all this in the same context...

Honestly if I were to consider the odds. I probably have better odds at winning a $1,000 on a scratch off lottery ticket than to find my "soul mate." Most people don't stick around anyway, either they lose interest in you because you argue, fight, lose your job, they lose their job, they cheat, you cheat. It is why the wedding industry is quite lucrative, people breaking up, finding a new partner over and over again.

Eh I'm just full of gloom and doom today.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

JohnMusic Wrote:walls. huge walls.

being open gets you hurt.

Yep, that is generally true. So does being honest.

I suppose life would have been easier if I was a psychopath....Hell I could be POTUS lol. Yeah there are some people I've met that probably were psychopaths, but I can't say for sure, they definitely were conniving assholes who knew how to press the right buttons and get out of you what they wanted.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!

Walls, walls and more walls.
I don't trust people easily. Anybody can turn their back at any moment. Sharing information leaves you vulnerable IMO. The less they know, the better.

I tend to be pretty open. If someone asks a question that I think is too personal to answer, I"ll say so.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

I can talk about myself though it is rare that anyone is curious. It isn't really my favorite topic.

I would not describe myself as a closed book except that I am hardly ever taken off the shelf.
I bid NO Trump!

I tend to put up walls, It's not even something I do intentionally it just seems to be part of who I am. I seem to take a while to warm up to people. For example, a few days ago I was told by a guy I work with that when I first started I was really quiet and barely said anything - which is true. Although now I'm much more talkative and approachable I do still put up walls occassionally.

As for how comfortable I am with talking about my feelings, not very. There are very few people in my life I can open up to enough to vent my anger or cry in front of or even just talk completely honestly to.

Y'all know me.

I don't hold back and I don't keep many secrets.

If you ask me a question, I'll almost always answer it and truthfully at that.

Because that's just who I am.

Yaaaaaaaasssss gurl. Big Grin

Well once upon a time I built walls around myself like a Chinese emperor. But then I got myself into a bit of a sticky pickle and I really had to force myself to open up with people in order to get out of it.

Now the switch has flipped in the opposite direction and i'm happy to share almost anything with people that I like.

And hey speaking of sharing there's something missing from this thread. [MENTION=21558]Emiliano[/MENTION]
How comfortable are you when it comes to talking about yourself and your feelings?