Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talking to yourself = normal?
I talk to myself... a lot. I just came home from getting caught doing so at the grocery store wandering around the aisles, always a tad embarrassing. And when I say I talk to myself, I don't mean things like,

"I wonder what I should do today. The bookstore is closed so maybe I'll talk a walk to the park. Puppies sure are cute. What's that song called, the one that goes 'And I would walk a thousand la la la and I would walk la la la la....' oh well, whatever."

I mean I have full blown conversations with people. They're not necessarily imaginary people either. They're people I know, or knew: my father, my old boss, people I knew back in high school. I talk to them like they're there and respond to what they say in my head. If I hear a joke I would like to share with an old friend, I tell him. I argue with my dad or boss (and often lose).

I don't have difficulty understanding that I'm just talking to shadows, but sometimes I get so into it (usually while cleaning, or just pacing around the house) that I get lost in it, and it's not until the phone rings that I'm snapped out my head. Sometimes, when I see someone in real life that I talk to in my head a lot, I'll forget what conversations we've actually had or that I made up.I've been told by others (in real life) they hear me talking to myself quite often, which is slightly unnerving because I've always thought I'm very good at hiding it.

Does anyone else do this? Is this really weird? I'm not really worried about it or anything, I'm just curious.

Thanks for reading.

Sometimes I accidentally play out conversation bits before they happen. For example, before making a phone call I sort of mumble the first few things I'd say. Or if I have a 'serious talk' coming up with someone. So you might be a bit more chatty.. I think that's perfectly normal. Otherwise, I am in trouble too Wink

I guess the golden rule is as long as you can tell apart what's real and what's not, and as long as it doesn't impair your life in any way, it's fine. If you are concerned though, it might be worth talking with someone who's actually qualified to evaluate you.

I do thesme thing, but I don't actually say it out loud. I have these conversations in my head, but sometimes I get so in to it I'll start mouthing all the words and using body language and stuff...so I'm gonna say it's normal.

Dude I talk to myself all the time, mostly at work. I'll be working, thinking about nothing really at all than before I know it my lips are moving. Most of the time with someone looks at me strange I'll just bust into a song and pretend i was just singing to myself ( as if that's normal).

but yeah talking to yourself is normal, it only crazy if you started answering yourself.

Cool. For some reason today it all struck me as possibly not normal, but I do indeed feel sane again. Thanks.

They say you only talk to yourself because you're either crazy, or far too intelligent... They say Einstein talked to himself frequently, but he was considered a mad genius, so...

I talk to my animals a lot, which most people consider talking to myself, since they don't believe animals can hear and/or understand us. Even though I know they can Happy .

Also, I talk to myself just before playing music, usually singing it or repeating the notes, as it helps me remember, but if I go on stage or something, I usually do it in my head, but then I have to tap my foot for some reason... especially if I like the song Rofl .

I'm just not "normal" period Xyxthumbs .

Yes, all the time.

There again, I am as mad as a box of frogs! Vogel

LOL i do the same almost everytime i clean my house or i cook most propably its cause is the only time that is me and myself alone.

In a sense i find it really good cause after the whole conv ends i feel much better and makes me taking descition. I think its normal and apparently you're not the only one Smile

George Wrote:LOL i do the same almost everytime i clean my house or i cook most propably its cause is the only time that is me and myself alone.

In a sense i find it really good cause after the whole conv ends i feel much better and makes me taking descition. I think its normal and apparently you're not the only one Smile

Cooking is absolutely great for talking to yourself.

QueenOdi Wrote:I talk to my animals a lot, which most people consider talking to myself, since they don't believe animals can hear and/or understand us. Even though I know they can Happy .

Animals are indeed great listeners. I just watched a doc on how dogs have adapted to understand human emotion. Here:

I do this all the time and some people say I'm mad ;-) I usually do it when Im stressed or I'm doing something important, I dunno maybe it makes me feel better and gives me a bit of self reassurance. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it, it's probably just a coping mechanism.