Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tatchell attacks faux-gay pop sensation Katy Perry
[img2=left]http://www.gayspeak.com/forum/images/news/katyperry.jpg[/img2]American singer Katy Perry has rejected criticism of her new single UR SO GAY.

She came to prominence this year with her worldwide hit, I Kissed A Girl, that angered some gay and lesbian rights activists.

The song, which includes the lyrics "I kissed a girl and I liked it, the taste of her cherry chapstick", was an instant number one hit.

Slant Magazine said the song: "isn't problematic because it promotes homosexuality, but because its appropriation of the gay identity exists for the sole purpose of garnering attention—both from Perry's boyfriend and her audience."

Now gay rights activist Peter Tatchell has spoken out.

UR SO GAY mocks a former 'metrosexual' boyfriend of Perry's with lyrics that one critic described as "schoolyard homophobia."

"I hope you hang yourself with your H&M scarf"

"While jacking off listening to Mozart"

"You bitch and moan about LA"

"You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys"

"No you don’t even like, no you don’t even like, no you don’t even like boys"

"You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys."

Perry's tune has infuriated outspoken activist Peter Tatchell, who said the song demeans gay people."

"I am sure Katy would get a critical reception if she expressed comparable sentiments in a song called 'UR so black, Jewish or disabled.'"

Perry defended her song's use of the word 'gay.'

"We live in a very metrosexual world," she said.

"You know, a girl might walk into a bar, meet a boy, and discover he's more manicured than she is. And they can't figure it out. Is he wearing foundation and a bit of bronzer? But he's buying me drinks at the same time!"

"I'm not saying you're so gay, you're so lame. I'm saying, you're so gay, but I don't understand it because you don't like boys!"

Perry started out as a Christian pop artist, listening to gospel music and strutting her siren’s voice at church.

Perry's parents, Evangelical preachers Mary and Keith Hudson, spoke out against her song.

Mrs Hudson said:

"We hate it. It promotes homosexuality, which the Bible clearly states is a sin, and it is shameful and disgusting."

"When it comes on I bow my head and pray."

"She is our daughter and we love her and can't cut her out of our lives."

"But we strongly disagree with how she is conducting herself and she knows how disappointed we are."

"Katy is not a homosexual and has just been led astray by Hollywood."

"She changed when she went to LA and is going through a period of rebellion."

"She's told me, 'Oh Mom, I'm not going to turn into Amy Winehouse,' but I pray all the time God will help her find salvation."
Note: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant free message. However, I do concede, a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Andy Wrote:....
She is our daughter and we love her and can't cut her out of our lives.

Hey, Katy's parents, teach her to GROW UP!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Anyone here upset/angered by either song? Personally, I like em both!!

And I think the parent's need to grow up and get with the 21st Century.

Quote:"Katy is not a homosexual and has just been led astray by Hollywood."

I love it how people can blame things on an area!

Quote:"We hate it. It promotes homosexuality, which the Bible clearly states is a sin, and it is shameful and disgusting."

Am i the only one who found those songs genuinely funny??

I really do think we gays need to lighten up sometimes...

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Am i the only one who found those songs genuinely funny??

I really do think we gays need to lighten up sometimes...

Shadow will tell you... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE "I kissed a girl" lol.

The Ur So Gay one ain't bad either.

I hate the song because I dont like it as a song. It gets stuck in my head and goes onandonandonandonandonandon..............................

i love both songs they are so addictive

wouldlikemuscle Wrote:Shadow will tell you... I ABSOLUTELY LOVE "I kissed a girl" lol.

The Ur So Gay one ain't bad either.

I do INDEED confirm this to be the truth Xyxthumbs.

It seems I might be one of the few people that does find the use of the term mildly offensive - however there's a difference to my mind between me finding it personally offensive but accepting that most people don't feel that way, and somebody getting on their soapbox about it ...

... I think (and I know we've had this discussion before) that people saying "that's so gay" fuels a stereotype that (I don't know about you, but) I for one find myself uncomfortable being tied-to.

... and because when most people say "that's so gay" what they REALLY mean is "that's so crap", so the connection between homosexuality and being crap is something many people make on an almost daily basis ... and they wonder why so many of us have self-esteem issues Rolleyes.

Aaaaaaaanyhow ... as much as I find that grates on my nerves, I find her parents attitudes to be RIDICULOUSLY untenable ...

GROW ... the F*CK ... UP ... !! :mad:.

!?!?! Shadow !?!?!