Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teenager broadcasts suicide on website
Horror as teenager commits suicide live online - Times Online

A 19-year-old man has committed suicide live on the internet encouraged by others who were watching, according to reports.
The teenager, named as Abraham K Biggs, from Broward County, Florida, took an overdose of pills while broadcasting himself on Justin.tv, a live video streaming website.
On a chat forum he told others he was going to commit suicide and posted a suicide note on another forum before taking the pills and turning on his webcam.
The 19-year-old lay on his bed and only after several hours of no movement did others begin to take him seriously. With the video still running, forum members managed to contact the local police who eventually broke down the door, found the body and switched off the camera. Up to 1,500 people were viewing the feed, according to one report.
A video clip posted on the net shows a police officer entering the room, his handgun drawn, as he checks for any sign of life. Local police said they were investigating a suspected suicide and the death was confirmed by the Broward County medical examiner.

Mr Biggs was a member of the bodybuilding.com forum under the name CandyJunkie and was known as Feels Like Ecstasy on justin.tv. He apparently had threatened before to commit suicide.
On Wednesday he went to the bodybuilding.com forum and detailed the amount of drugs he was going to take. The moderators of the forum reportedly did not take him seriously because of his past threats and other forum members encouraged him to carry out his threat.
Mr Biggs then posted his suicide note, where he said he had hurt other people and hated himself for being a failure. "I am an a@#hole. I have let everyone down and I feel as though I will never change or never improve. I am in love with a girl and I know that I am not good enough for her," he wrote,
Mr Biggs then posted his suicide note, where he said he had hurt other people and hated himself for being a failure. As he lay motionless on the bed after taking the pills, many forum members continued to insult him, believing that it was staged.
One forum member pleaded with other forum members to contact the police and tried to e-mail the Miami-Dade police. He borrowed his father's mobile and spoke to police who directed him to the Broward County Sheriff's Department. About an hour later, the authorities arrived at the teenager's house.
Justin.tv is an open network of thousands of live streaming channels.
It is based in San Francisco and is named after Justin Kan, its first star.
"We regret that this has occurred and respect the privacy of the broadcaster and his family during this time. We have policies in place to discourage the distribution of distressing content and our community monitors the site accordingly. This content was flagged by our community, reviewed, and removed according to our terms of service," Justin.tv CEO Michael Seibel said in an e-mail.
The video feed has been taken down but video clips have been posted elsewhere on the net and copies of the suicide note can also be found.
Many of the forum posts have been deleted by those who made them.
There have been growing concerns that internet forums encourage people to take their lives. Last year a British man hung himself witnessed by about 100 internet chatroom users. Kevin Whitrick, 42, from Telford, Shropshire, killed himself after being goaded in an "insult" chatroom at the Paltalk website. One of the users is claimed to have told him:
"F***ing do it. Get on with it."

According to one charity which works to prevent suicide, there have been at least 17 deaths in the UK since 2001 which involved chatrooms or sites which give advice on suicide methods. Campaigners want the police to investigate and prosecute those involved in encouraging online suicides.

well thats fucked

The people who encouraged him to do it and did nothin to help should be tracked down and prosecuted either that or hung by their feet in the public square and stoned to death! :confused:

The members are complete assholes.

But for some reason people are nasty to suicidal people, I've seen similar things on other forums and they just insult them.

It is rather inevitable and will probably become more common. Humanity seems to be hitting new lows and no one seems to care or able to do much to turn around the inevitable.

bodybuilding.com is probably the site I use the absolute most on the internet.

I saw CandyJunkies thread before I went to bed and didn't think much of it - he was known for making these threads before.
But when I checked the forum the following morning... the 'misc' section was full with threads about the events that took place.

Been seeing it all over the news here today.

Mmmm I know most are on about the members should be found and this and that which encouraged him on, but then doesn't it come down to why would someone choose to broadcast this? Why did the kid decide to do it live.. He said something about hurting people, but then doing this online would hurt them more? :S Shouldn't his motives be questioned?

I don't know if im on the right track at all like just, things like this will become more and more common, people are beaten and attacked live on webcam, so why is this such a shock? It was only a matter of time, and people may argue the website should of done more, but at the end of the day, what could the site have done to prevent this? Why did people choose to watch it?

Anyone which blames the site or members on the site think to yourself, why did nobody in real life which knew him in person try and help him...? And don't say maybe he didn't let on and all that shiz, because if he wanted the attention of posting his goodbye letter and then doing it live, im sure he would of let on in person.
[COLOR="Purple"]As I grow to understand less and less,
I learn to love it more and more.
[/COLOR]

Twazzle Wrote:Mmmm I know most are on about the members should be found and this and that which encouraged him on, but then doesn't it come down to why would someone choose to broadcast this? Why did the kid decide to do it live.. He said something about hurting people, but then doing this online would hurt them more? :S Shouldn't his motives be questioned?

I don't know if im on the right track at all like just, things like this will become more and more common, people are beaten and attacked live on webcam, so why is this such a shock? It was only a matter of time, and people may argue the website should of done more, but at the end of the day, what could the site have done to prevent this? Why did people choose to watch it?

Anyone which blames the site or members on the site think to yourself, why did nobody in real life which knew him in person try and help him...? And don't say maybe he didn't let on and all that shiz, because if he wanted the attention of posting his goodbye letter and then doing it live, im sure he would of let on in person.
It's not often I agree with Twazzle (or even understand what he's saying Wink ), but he has expressed my first thoughts on this too.

It's tragic, certainly, but who wants to believe that they are really watching something as awful as someone dying? What is more remarkable to me is that someone was actually able to rise above the mesmerising effect of what he was watching and attempt to contact the authorities.

My thoughts go out to the family and friends of this unhappy man.

Isnt it a studied phenomenon where strangers dont get involved in crimes such as rape, molestation, suicide... but would rather be voyeur or just close the windows... Some news/audiences are calling for tv broadcast of prison executions...

While living in Tokyo, was at a suburban train station going home late nite and saw a HUGE crowd standing all over the edges of the station... wondered what was going on as this was a very odd thing to see in Tokyo...

Turns out someone had thrown themself onto the train tracks, a common method of suicide in Japan, and the crowd was trying to get a better view of the meat on the tracks... OMG, I tried to advert my eyes but did see something and was just sick by the whole spectacle.

Good Luck Humanity

fjp999 Wrote:Isnt it a studied phenomenon where strangers dont get involved in crimes such as rape, molestation, suicide... but would rather be voyeur or just close the windows... Some news/audiences are calling for tv broadcast of prison executions...

While living in Tokyo, was at a suburban train station going home late nite and saw a HUGE crowd standing all over the edges of the station... wondered what was going on as this was a very odd thing to see in Tokyo...

Turns out someone had thrown themself onto the train tracks, a common method of suicide in Japan, and the crowd was trying to get a better view of the meat on the tracks... OMG, I tried to advert my eyes but did see something and was just sick by the whole spectacle.

Good Luck Humanity

I don't know if this phenomenon is studied or not, and if it is I don't know what it is called, but I have seen it in action in combat. We, when I say we I mean human beings in general, and soldiers specifically, have a tendancy to be very voyeristic about death, dead people, carnage etc. Whenever we kill someone everyone wants to see the body, wants to see the wounds etc, and when there are thrid parties people want to see that too. The only exception is when one of us is killed. Most of the time people don't want to see that, probably I think because its reflects on thier own mortality.

Don't know how to explain that aspect of human behavior. My own feelings are simple, I have seen enough death and carnage and blood for 5 lifetimes, I don't want to see any more, and it seems to me that the more experienced in combat a soldier is the closer to my perspective they get. The younger and less combat experienced soldiers are the more they are fascinated with death and blood. Once people see what it is really like they don't want to see it again. The turning point for me was when I had to pick up pieces of one of my friends, that is waht made me realize that there is no interest or glory or anything worth seeing in death, just despair.

I suppose there is a part of me that thinks that these people who watched the poor kid kill himself will maybe realize that they fucked up, but I'm a realist and I know that human beings do not associate what they see on a computer screen with reality well enough to understand what death is. Most of those people will probably tune in again if they have the chance. Quite a sad commentary on our society.