Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teens Today vs. Teens Yesterday
Earlier tonight I went to an outdoor event where there were a lot of teens.

Okay, I'm in my late 30s and am not around that younger age group much, so I would like to ask anyone here who is a teen about what I saw tonight...

First let me say, when I was in high school, guys always remained at a distance, you never touched another guy in any way, you never talked in the bathroom, you never talked emotions, you never did anything close to another guy or you were an outcast, period.

So tonight I'm watching all these high school kids and I was just amazed to see guys actually being close--both emotionally and physically. I saw a guy very tenderly rub his friend's back because he was sore. Another guy was comforting a friend, assuring him his girlfriend still loved him, while hugging him.

Another guy was taking pictures of his friend and the way he was doing it was just so cute, like he was giving his friend a chance to show off how good he looked on camera. I could go on, there were countless examples everywhere.

I honestly would not have taken any of these guys to be gay or even bi, most of them seemed to have girlfriends too. (I realize that happens, as I once had a girlfriend, but it just seemed so different, so easy and honest.)

So my question is, is this normal behavior for straight teenage guys today? Are they more open which each other than they were in my day?

It does seem that teenage lads are becoming more emotionally open with each other and more tactile. My nephew, for example, is 15 and has some friends that he would never greet without a hug.

I think its a good thing, makes for stronger friendships and produces men who are able to express emotions etc

juk Wrote:It does seem that teenage lads are becoming more emotionally open with each other and more tactile. My nephew, for example, is 15 and has some friends that he would never greet without a hug.

I think its a good thing, makes for stronger friendships and produces men who are able to express emotions etc

I think that's amazingly awesome that you're seeing some of the same things I saw tonight.

A straight guy who can hug his male friends is not only healthier emotionally himself, but is also a lot less likely to hate gay men.

Thats is absolutely normal and it is fantastic. The whole world is becoming more and more open to everything and our generation is the one that is like...the first or the second that carries the gift of the open mind. Marvelous, ain't it..?

I agree the younger generation is a LOT more open with their feelings than we were at their age and I think it's a good thing. It took me YEARS to become comfortable expressing my feelings for people and I mean just basic feelings like love for family and friends. I am a product of the old school of thought, but I managed to fight through and become sensible. I see younger kids now they are already where it took me years to get, it gives me hope for the future.
Richard

Tim Wrote:Earlier tonight I went to an outdoor event where there were a lot of teens.

Okay, I'm in my late 30s and am not around that younger age group much, so I would like to ask anyone here who is a teen about what I saw tonight...

First let me say, when I was in high school, guys always remained at a distance, you never touched another guy in any way, you never talked in the bathroom, you never talked emotions, you never did anything close to another guy or you were an outcast, period.

So tonight I'm watching all these high school kids and I was just amazed to see guys actually being close--both emotionally and physically. I saw a guy very tenderly rub his friend's back because he was sore. Another guy was comforting a friend, assuring him his girlfriend still loved him, while hugging him.

Another guy was taking pictures of his friend and the way he was doing it was just so cute, like he was giving his friend a chance to show off how good he looked on camera. I could go on, there were countless examples everywhere.

I honestly would not have taken any of these guys to be gay or even bi, most of them seemed to have girlfriends too. (I realize that happens, as I once had a girlfriend, but it just seemed so different, so easy and honest.)

So my question is, is this normal behavior for straight teenage guys today? Are they more open which each other than they were in my day?
Wow!:eek:
Wish i new more people as open as that! You wouldn't of lasted long in my secondary school if you behaved like that! But then again, my school WAS an all boys school.....
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Nowadays, teens are more open. Though, teens were pretty much like the teens from yesterday when I was growing up as a teen. It depends on the environment. My environment... meh, I can still see teens not being so open. I don't live in such a really open area. It's surprising, I live in New York too. New York is super open.

While this revolution of reciprocal emotions is taking place in American teens, don't be naive this is not occurring internationally. However, it brings me an ineffable amount of joy. But, this is not occurring in The Bahamas.

On another note of teens of today and yesteryear, I suspected, when I read your topic that you would be conversing about the psychology of teens of today and yesteryear. I am 25, and as a teen then we were still reserved in our emotions, and attiudes of life in general. We definitely were not liberal in our back-talking to adults etc. we knew innately right from wrong; but today teens seem to say what they want, when they want to, they have no morals or ethics, they seem to be indifferent to the value of life, and what is more scary, they have no fear or concern for authority or of repercussions. This is what is going on in The Bahamas, is it like this anywhere else?

haha I think I'm officially old for even entering into this debate *sighs* but I am approaching 30 and getting some of those wonderful whingey thoughts...

I think kids are just the same as they ever were 10/20 years ago, just in different clothes. There's all the same issues, the scandalous behaviour, the outcries, drugs, crime. There's also a lot of smart kids out there who are working hard at an increasingly flawed system and are judged purely by their age and fashion.

It just seems like the media's favourite ball to bat around when things get dull.

"kids get drunk as young as 13!!" yup, we know.

Yes, even from when i started High School in 96 things have changed rapidly. Teens are very open and touchy now. Its just the way now as a more gay friendly society appears which is awesome! Its cool to be Metrosexual! lol