Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tel Aviv Schools
Tel Aviv Schools Introduce Program to Thwart Sexual Orientation Stereotyping.

From the http://www.lezgetreal.com website - Article by Melanie Nathan; 30th August 2010

The Education Committee of the Tel Aviv municipality is the first in Israel to require city schools to integrate learning content to change stereotypes about gays, lesbians and gender identity. The program will start next January.

The Education Committee yesterday approved unanimously the proposal to integrate the Hoshen curriculum into every school.

Hoshen is a professional organization working on education to change existing stereotypes about sexual orientation and gender identity through information and activities within schools.

The upcoming school year will begin a pilot of 10 schools, which will include working with consultants, teachers, administrators and with students.

I hope this a step forward in making a firm commitment to help young people and not just a political fad to win votes.

This is interesting though.... because gender stereotyping is so difficult to break. I find myself doing it more often than I would like and yet am sensitive to it... (although, I'll admit, at the ages of my students, the worst of the stereotyping has already been done)

This is quite a noble cause, providing it has no political agendas attached to it like you mentioned Rychard.

However, I am quite ignorant, about the culture of Israel, pertaining to Homosexuals. I have merely a superficial and vague understanding of their acceptance, and tolerance. I know people die, are beaten, or ex-communicated. Please tell me what does this all mean in regards to well-being. Will the school be targets for violence, etc. Will its affliates and students perish (possibly)? I am more afraid than joyful.

I know the ramifications of this implementation, will be revolutionary, if successful. But, what does it mean to safety, religious creed, and the future of Islam?

Well actually, while the rest of Israel might be a bit more conservative, or fundamentalist about its religion, Tel Aviv is the metropolis where gays gather, a bit like Brighton in Britain or any capital city in the Western world... It's the Gay Mecca of Israel.

Aaycle Wrote:This is quite a noble cause, providing it has no political agendas attached to it like you mentioned Rychard.

I am sorry you have lost me a bit there. To my mind its self-evidently part of a liberal political agenda.

princealbertofb Wrote:It's the Gay Mecca of Israel.

Interesting choice of words.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

A wonderful choice of words PA.

Aaycle Wrote:
[B][COLOR=#8b0000] ... I know the ramifications of this implementation, will be revolutionary, if successful. But, what does it mean to safety, religious creed, and the future of Islam?
Islam? Tel Aviv is in Israel, where Muslims are reputed to be in a bit of a minority :confused:

princealbertofb Wrote:Well actually, while the rest of Israel might be a bit more conservative, or fundamentalist about its religion, Tel Aviv is the metropolis where gays gather, a bit like Brighton in Britain ...
... and which last year suffered an appalling shooting attack at a gay youth centre in which two people died and thirteen were injured. Fundamentalist morons are everywhere.

You are right...Tel Aviv suffered that terrorist bomb, which maimed and killed...

Thank you, princealbertofb, for the clarification. I did not know that a part of Israel was so tolerating. Still it is sad to know that they are wearing targets on their backs. Attacks, have occurred... it is only likely to happen again.

fredv3b, you cannot allude to me that there is a hidden political agenda, and not elaborate, I am as lost as you are or were! Please, enlighten me!!

Marshlander, you too?! Another bewildered soul that is lost by my ignorance! You too must make me aware as to which religion is widely practiced in Tel Aviv. If the Muslims are the minority, are the remaining, Christians, Atheists... what?

Are you few bashing on me for asking, or for talking too much, lol?

Aaycle Wrote:......Are you few bashing on me for asking, or for talking too much, lol?
They're not bashing you.
Just asking honest questions/wording their opinions.Confusedmile:

Though i have nothing to add to the discussion.
All i can say is that i'm pessimistic of how this will turn out.:frown:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so