Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thank You
Hey!

I have written some posts on here before asking for some advice on coming out to myself and ways to get help and after a few years, I've finally reached out and got some help.
I've always wanted to, but the idea telling a doctor about the way I was feeling just scared the hell out of me. I thought I would sit there and nothing would come out. I made the appointment on Thursday and normally it would be a week before I got one and like in the past I would always cancel, but I rang up and there was a last minute cancellation and I have about a hour before I needed to be there, so I didn't get time to be nervous or to write everything down and it seemed to go ok. My doctor was great, she listened really well and seemed genuinely caring. I have started on medication but I also asked to be referred for some talking therapy.

I do look at all the times I've cancelled in the past and get annoyed because If I hadn't I could be a lot further down the line, but just so happy with myself for finally reaching out for the help I needed.

Hopefully things are starting to look up for me.

I would like to thank you guys here, as you have given me great support and advice and it is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Ant

I am so happy for you that you have done it! I can really relate to how you were feeling about taking this step and it sure is so tempting to cancel that appointment once you've made it. I'm sure everything will slowly get better from now on, I'm proud of you Smile

Xyxthumbs

Talking to a professional can make a huge difference in one's life… IF they're good or at least the right one for you. I don't know what I would have done if I'd not gotten the IRL support I needed in my mid 20s.

I am glad to hear you are making a proactive choice in seeking outside health! Best wishes!
~Beaux

Well done!!

Yes that is awesome that you are getting so help . I hope that the therapist can help you out and you are able to work everything out !! Best of luck and keep us in the loop what happens

That sounds great Ant!

One thing that doesn't get said by therapists when they get new clients is that making changes in your life isn't really solved by therapy. Therapy just helps you identify the things to change and shows you how to change them. Ninety percent of the real work is up to you. That sounds bad but it's not. Once you begin to change things within yourself and see the good that comes from them you'll find it's easier and easier to keep on at it.

I think that the talking therapy will really help you Ant, building up the confidence to attend the appointment will be the hardest part but once you get in there you will be fine. Just stick with the therapy and you should reap the rewards, all the best.

Hi, Ant. We haven't met.

Great to hear you've taken the step.

We're not licensed counselors here, but a lot of us have been down the road a bit. Keep sharing.

All the best to you.

Jason

We haven't talked before, but congratulations on taking such a difficult and important step. Therapy, and the work it entails, can be challenging but the rewards are definitely worth the effort. Best of luck to you!