Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That's not funny (?)
In recent months their has been several high profile news stories about comedians who have told jokes that have been deemed to be offensive, and the outrage that have followed; Jimmy Carr’s joke about service men and women who have lost limbs, French comedian Dieudonné’s numerous jokes about Jewish people, Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand in relation to the whole Andrew Sachs fandango…Scottish comedian Frankie Boyle has been in trouble twice, surrounding jokes about the queen and Olympic swimmer Rebecca Adlington. And I am sure there are many, many more. In each case, numerous complaints to Ofcom and the Press Complaints Commission have been sent, and many disapproving, approving and bemusing articles in the press have been written. Often the comedian will apologise and withdraw the joke or jokes from their act.

Now, I am unsure what to think of all this. I am sure saying the ‘unsayable’ has always been an important element of comedy- it is likely that much of the humour lies in the shock it provokes. According to Cicero, ‘an indecency decently put is the thing we laugh at hardest’. Therefore, language that may be offensive within, say, a work place or in polite company could be seen as perfectly appropriate within comedy; the audience expects it, and is prepared for it, given the particular context. Furthermore, the idea that some words or ideas have such power that grown adults should be shielded from them, lest they become offended, seems ridiculous and patronising, in my opinion.

However, may I tell a personal account which may prove me to be somewhat of a hypocrite. Not so long ago, I was at a comedy night, and there was a comedian, who is moderately successful and well known, and much of the Jimmy Carr school; one liners, about various taboo subjects and minority groups. Now many of the jokes I could laugh at, in the spirit of black humour. But there were a few, well, in particular two, which I just felt to be really beyond the pail. To me, they just sounded cruel and mocking, more suited to a playground bully than a successful comedian. Clearly their only ‘merit’ was their shock value; they were neither clever nor funny. It was not as if I felt compelled to rush off and cry offence, but I couldn’t even raise a smile, honestly. I looked around to see the reaction of others, to see everyone was laughing. That made it feel worse, like how dare this room of people all sit and laugh about this? Maybe they were just keen not to seem to ‘PC’ (which has of course become quite a dirty word!). I wondered if I am too soft and easy to offend by not laughing along… or was I too cruel to laugh at some of his other jokes?

I left feeling confused; perhaps comedians should have a right to say what they like, but maybe also they have a responsibility not to tell jokes that are seriously and personally offensive to people (rather than just provoking a storm of offence by proxy). I think this is especially true where the joke pokes fun at those who are in some way disempowered, or excluded enough a minority for no one to care to defend them, or listen to their objections. It just doesn’t seem right, it’s just too much like bullying, in my opinion. Also, they have a responsibility to actually be funny, it’s their job… and jokes that only have the value of being ‘shocking’ rarely are, I find.

What do you think? Have you ever heard a joke that you felt went too far? Are some subjects untouchable? And where is the line drawn?

Lilmy, what a brilliant subject for discussion Wink Although I don't have a clearly considered view I've often wondered about this myself. I love to watch, say, Jimmy Carr on television (although I don't think I'd be brave enough to go and see him live in case he picked me out for some special attention :eek: ), but every time I see him he says something that makes me cringe. At times I have considered his scathing personal remarks abusive and sometimes even bullying. However, I am always left examining why I responded in the way I did. His humour may be tough going and "edgy", but I see his job as being like a tourist guide who shows us things about ourselves we'd rather not see. The best comedy, like many art forms, endures because it challenges the way things are. I do think, though, that Jimmy Carr is also a person who thinks deeply about what he says ... maybe I'm wrong.

I would not choose, for my amusement, to see someone who uses ill-considered attacks on those less able to defend themselves, but I do not think people should be silenced either. I'm still a believer in education and I hope I always shall be. If a joke is funny, it's funny. I also know that I am going to be sensitive about some areas of experience that others may find very funny. Again I try to confront the reason for my responses.

PA and I laugh a lot together and share a rather absurd sense of humour. However, there are cultural differences and I do find that occasionally I might challenge something he might say in jest just as he might with me.

I don't know where the line is. Do we ban topics of humour out of fear of reprisal or because they are "wrong"? Remember the Danish cartoons? If a special interest group is powerful enough to cause that kind of chaos they should indeed be a target for humour. That is when we can see the worth of ideas. If an idea can survive a humour attack it may have some value.

What is the value of an attack on, say, disabled people? If we are forced to confront our own prejudices I would consider it a good job. Some people are not clever enough to have something worthwhile to say and use the form without the content. They do not merit further attention.

Just a few ramblings.

A lot to think about there... I agree that it is always I good thing to consider why we may respond to things in the way we do, though I imagine we can never find an objective answer on whether our reactive was 'right' or not!

Quote: I also know that I am going to be sensitive about some areas of experience that others may find very funny.

That is true; we all have out own personal histories, experiences, views and prejudices, so some jokes that may be acceptable to others may offend us personally. I guess that is a difficult area because it is not as if comedians can accommodate everyone’s feelings. I suppose when we view comedy we must go into it know there is a risk of feeling offence.

Quote:PA and I laugh a lot together and share a rather absurd sense of humour. However, there are cultural differences and I do find that occasionally I might challenge something he might say in jest just as he might with me.

That’s an interesting point you raise, and one that hadn’t occurred to me; different cultures can have different views about what is acceptable and what is not. I wonder, for example, how Dieudonné’s jokes would fair in the UK?

Quote:
What is the value of an attack on, say, disabled people? If we are forced to confront our own prejudices I would consider it a good job. Some people are not clever enough to have something worthwhile to say and use the form without the content. They do not merit further attention.

A good point; I am sure I would not laugh at a joke attacking disabled people. However there are a number of successful disabled comedians and it is generally felt that their best humour is that which tackles the subject of disability. However the key difference is that with such comedians, I am sure the act mocks and parodies the way society views disabled people, and the jokes that is used to attack them, and finds comedy in the often absurd and humourous situations that a disabled person might find themselves in, in a mostly ‘abled’ world. Such humour that challenges, rather than pander to prejudice.

Quote:Just a few ramblings.

Thanks, I enjoyed reading them.Confusedmile:

Lilmy87 Wrote:...I wonder, for example, how Dieudonné’s jokes would fair in the UK
I don't know Dieudonné's work. Is it really God-given? I'll see if PA knows anything about him.

I did play PA a video of Eddie Izzard in Paris and he was distinctly underwhelmed whilst I was curled up with laughter. It reminded me of the time when Monty Python first appeared on television and my father's total bewilderment at what had me rolling on the floor from start to finish, while he found nothing funny in it at all :redface:

[COLOR="Purple"]a couple of USA items:

Archie Bunker a character in All in the Family (based on Till Death Us Do Part).

Don Rickles is our most famous "insult comedian". One would also "hate" to be in his audience and FOUND by his filthy tongue :redface: [/COLOR]

I went to see a standup comedian at the Edinburgh Festival one year and was really pissed off at some of his jokes, especially the antigay ones of course. So I waited until he told a joke about women that was in bad taste and I stood up and walked out. My friends followed me. My exit was very visible and I felt really proud of myself. I don't approve of censorship but am all in favour of self-censorship.

No. I'm sorry but I don't believe in censoring humour.

I like to tell inappropriate jokes about topical subjects. For example when Madeline Mc Cann had been missing for about several weeks we had this pathetic Yellow Ribbon campaign. We were urged to display yellow ribbons all over the place as a show of support for the missing 6 year-old girl and her parents. I commented in a chat room that surely a yellow spade or a yellow Police Diver would be of more use! I was told to stop telling sick jokes and leave her alone, I said that was how the problem started in the first place!

After the Manchester gas explosion I wrote, "I'm a Salford plumber, and breaking 7 windows was my idea!"

Anyway, I'm off. If anybody needs me I'll be in my bucket!

Truly, there are many comedians out there that tell the most vile jokes their minds can muster, and yes truly they are morbidly offensive, jaw-dropping, and physically stirring, but in all honesty some of these are the jokes that invoke thought. Most in my case, were the catalyst for the examination of my religious beliefs, and examinations of many people. I agree, they should exclude the group of people in society that are physically and mentally challenged, but I would not rather see them censored entirely,