Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Budget
So, this week was the UK budget.

Darling appears to have increased pensions and benefits for the elderly... which is a good thing. He will apparently be increasing child benefits from April... good for those who need it.

Alcohol tax has gone up (good for stopping binging... bad for the already struggling leisure side of the economy!!!)

Cigarette tax gone up (good! maybe it'll stop people smoking?)

I like the idea of the 4x4s and high polluting vehicles paying more tax.

I don't like that he has not thought to do anything in the sectors we're all feeling the pressure in though!

I also like the idea of them making it harder for disabled people to claim disability allowance. Too many people are too eager to turn to it and sit on their lazy arses all day long Confusedmile:

Yeah North American media is reporting this budget is introducing "sin taxes" on:

Drinking
Smoking
Gas-Guzzling cars

I think the U.K. is becoming to much of a nanny-state, and for the love of God the government has no right to determine what is good for you and what is bad for you, and punish you.

Its way to intrusive....

The American/Canadian media is painting it that way at least as "sin taxes" that are over intrusive and the government punishing those who don't conform to a healthy lifestyle.

Smurlos Wrote:...
I also like the idea of them making it harder for disabled people to claim disability allowance. Too many people are too eager to turn to it and sit on their lazy arses all day long Confusedmile:

Probably never an easy thing, deciding who's entitled to it and who's not. But cheats should definitely not be allowed to get away with it.

Smurlos Wrote:I also like the idea of them making it harder for disabled people to claim disability allowance. Too many people are too eager to turn to it and sit on their lazy arses all day long Confusedmile:

princealbertofb Wrote:Probably never an easy thing, deciding who's entitled to it and who's not. But cheats should definitely not be allowed to get away with it.

I dont know what it is like in the various countries thruout Europe but in my case it was hell getting a disability approved in the USA. I waited, with assistance (not real lawyer), for nearly two years for a hearing. The judge was so rude I wanted to smack him (or worse) and I am a peacenik. He actually made a statement like this: "a promiscuous, drug addicted, alcoholic homosexual" in reference to moi :eek: He did not approve me even though he found me disabled???

I waited another year to learn that that judges decision was overturned as he had made mistakes... I then waited over six months to get a new judge who actually said, in front of me, that he was happy the other judge had retired saying "good riddance" :eek:

At that point it was nearing four years since I had first applied and my medical records had to be wheeled in on a cart... Rofl At these hearings they have a work expert who is suppose to be unbiased. His finding was that I was unable to work due to medical poisoning. As soon as he said that I knew that I had won. It then took another three months to get the approval letter and monies in the bank. Exactly a four year process!

So I currently get just a little more than $600/month for living, rent, food etc. I do get back pay for the four years but they give it to me in dribbles... There are some other small benefits such as free or low cost transportation and I might get a coupon for housing but with the way the economy is going and prices rising $600/month is not much after a four year fight.

I was gonna say that is my 2 cents but I cant afford it...

fjp999 Wrote:I was gonna say that is my 2 cents but I cant afford it...

Grlaugh haha!

fjp999 Wrote:He actually made a statement like this: "a promiscuous, drug addicted, alcoholic homosexual" in reference to moi :eek: He did not approve me even though he found me disabled???

Oh my god, that is absolutely shocking!! And he was allowed before a court?! Meh!

Smurlos Wrote:Oh my god, that is absolutely shocking!! And he was allowed before a court?! Meh!

He was the court!

I was warned by my lawyer that this Judge was a monster and that he had a few clients who left in tears after the judge took the crap out of them.

But this judge would usually approve the patient after taking the shit out of them but NOT this HOMO!

I probably could have sued him for defamation of character.