Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The C word
Sorry to hear that, positive is that stage 1 is early should be easier to treat.

Don't worry about passing it on, genetics is a crap shoot.

bryyzy Wrote:If its just random then fine ok. I'll just sit and wait for whatever else life has in store for me. But if its genetic. I be scared of passing it down the generations should I have a child through IVF with a surrogate mother

Just take things one step at a time Smile Concentrate on getting yourself well again before thinking of possible kids Smile And if, *if* you have kids and find out you've passed it on, then at least they know about it and can be monitored for early signs etc. But like I say, just focus on yourself and now for the moment.

bryyzy Wrote:I'm not anticipating much fun with it. I just don't get why it happened

I, too, am sorry this has fallen on you. Is there a family history of the disease?
Genetics is a big factor in colon cancer. Do you know if it is a cancerous polyp or a tumor?
I ask because you can ask your doctor all these details.
I know someone who had stage 1 colon cancer at a young age, like you. He had surgery and some follow up treatments, but regular screening has shown him to be free of the disease since then. His doctor recommend a baby aspirin daily and a calcium supplement because apparently these can offer some prevention. You probably have much to learn about the disease and how to stay healthy. You caught it at the best possible time.

Good luck, bryyzy and keep us informed, please.

Its a tumour. I know my grandparents on my mums side of the family both had cancer but beyond that I dunno. I like to think I keep healthy through my diet and I take a multivitamin to supplement my diet. Maybe there is more I could do to stay healthy but I am gonna get genetic tests ran on me so I know if I am a ticking time bomb of various diseases.

Thanks for the support guys. You all be kept updated on what happens with treatment and what not.

Bryyzy, you will be a 21st century survivor. Just imagine how treatments have advanced since your grandparent's day. Their illnesses would never have even been discovered until too late. You are alive at the best possible time, medically speaking. Keep a bright outlook on life, even though I know it is scary right now. You are going to do well.

I am terribly sorry to hear that.
My ex boyfriend had the same condition and even though the treatment and recovery weren't pleasant, he managed to beat it.

Wish you luck!

Scared being a bit of an understatement. But I be happy once I see my oncologist next Tuesday and talk through the whole treatment programme. So I will keep you all posted and updated.

Cancer is a terrifying experience, man. Whether it's happening to you or someone you love, it's simply terrifying. The what ifs alone can drive you crazy and the lack of -control- of the situation is just maddening.

All that said? You can make it through this and come out even stronger for your experiences. It's not an easy road by any means but it can happen, so you need to keep a positive outlook and keep looking to the future and getting better.

I wish you all the luck in the world, man. No hate here, just all kinds of good thoughts and positive energy. You have a rough road ahead, but it can be traveled.

Well if its a rough road I need a decent chassis and a nice set of shock absorbers haha. Sorry about the humor but it helps so Smile. Thanks for all your best wishes guys. I shall keep you updated with this as time progresses and lets see if I can beat this

[MENTION=23498]bryyzy[/MENTION], news like yours hits hard. I am sorry to hear it.

22 years ago, I was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I went through treatment and all was OK. Then I came up with a new diagnosis, not a recurrence, in 2001. More treatment and now things seem to be OK, at least for the last 15 years since the treatment ended. Take my word for it. You can have a successful outcome with this. Keep your chin up and come here to blow off steam when you need to. Your chances are very good.

Just a couple of words of advice.

You will hear all kinds of crazy stories. Take them with a big grain of salt.

Everyone is different. One of the most interesting things about this strange disease is the every patient is unique. You will come through this in your own individual way. I'll lay odds that you will do very well.

YOU are the guy in charge. Ask questions. Learn what you can. You have every right to know exactly what is going on. Knowledge boosts confidence.

Finally, these days everything you can imagine is on the web. If you want to look things up try some reliable sites like Cleveland Clinic, WebMD or Mayo Clinic. Watch out for stuff that doesn't make sense.

You have friends here. Cancer is not going to change that. Good vibes are heading your way.
I bid NO Trump!