Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Catholic chuch considering a different point of view?
I'm not Catholic, not religious at all in fact but the recent news that Catholics have been asked to fill out a questionnaire regarding certain moral issues, is interesting. Although it says that the Pope is not considering any change in the present point of view, at least a shows a more liberal and accepting attiture on behalf of the Pope. Previous popes have dismissed outright any change of thought on certain subjects.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24951677
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

That's really good, the thing I love most about Pope Francis is that he reaches out to the people. The Vatican needs that in the modern world, instead of being shut out from its followers as it has done in the past.

I don't think the church should be given such a hearty congratulations (not by you, but by the whole god damned world) for finally entering, in a moral sense, the 20th century (yes, I mean 20th century).

This just shows how low everyone's expectations are for this criminal, evil, despicable organization. You know how I know that Pope Francis is not a morally enlightened human being? Because he's a fucking pope.

Quote from the article:

"The head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales also said that Catholics should be prepared to "listen" to arguments about same-sex marriage - even if it made them "uncomfortable."

Wow! They're actually saying that maybe, just maybe, Catholics should make an attempt to begin to LISTEN to other arguments? How morally evolved of them. Go fuck yourself Catholic Church, and stop ruining the world! We're closing in on two thousand years of this bullshit. Give us a rest from yourselves and let the human race finally live in peace.

... calming down now.

Wade Wrote:Quote from the article:

"The head of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales also said that Catholics should be prepared to "listen" to arguments about same-sex marriage - even if it made them "uncomfortable."

I might well agree with your sentiments but you have to admit, it is a very small step in the right direction
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I am not religious (though have been drawn to the Orthodox Church), and feel that organized religion may have more of place in today’s society than any other. For example, once the flood gates open for the Catholic Church and if/when it becomes more open and accepting it may just change the world for the better. It is just going to depend on whether or not these faiths (Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hindu etc.) can become more tolerant and create a peaceful world. Then again, perhaps I am living in a small town bubble where we can hold hands a skip through the meadow… Sheep

Or people can beat the rush and join the Unitarian Universalists. Wink

A step in a better direction would be to dissolve the church and all religion. Human beings develop their own morals, none need guidelines from fictitious books which were written by humans based off their own personal moral values at the time.

We are more than capable of doing this ourselves in this day and age, without the need for supernatural beings and their "representatives" on earth advising us how we should. All that's need is education.

KJ1989 Wrote:A step in a better direction would be to dissolve the church and all religion. Human beings develop their own morals, none need guidelines from fictitious books which were written by humans based off their own personal moral values at the time.

We are more than capable of doing this ourselves in this day and age, without the need for supernatural beings and their "representatives" on earth advising us how we should. All that's need is education.

Perhaps we give the human race too much credit?

I heard about this. The Catholic Church often lags behind the developed world, but seems to get tugged along with it given time --- Example, the famous change of heart they had about Nazism.

I'm sure that there aren't going to be any dramatic or real visible changes in the near future, but I do think that the church is always in a period of gradual change, whether they like to admit it or not.

While the Catholic Church isn't going to disappear any time soon, perhaps someday it will become a more moderate institution that respects its followers, and leaves individuals who aren't its followers well enough alone. We can dream, after all.

The sites I frequent, the general consensus of Catholics on this is that these questions are being asked so Catholic clergy can approach certain issues relating to the family in more appropriate and effective ways when communicating with the laity.

Changes to doctrine or dogma are not being considered.

This seems likely the case to me.
I still think it a good move though, as the Church definitely needs to understand it's followers more. Hopefully this, and similar surveys, could be regular occurrences.