Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Effect of China's One-Child Family Policy after 25 Years
well not really zeon, if every couple only has one child then the population would level off and then slowly start to decline. Saying overpopulation is inevitable isn't quite true. After all, developed countries rely on immigrants to make sure their populations continue to grow, otherwise they would start shrinking within 30-40 years.

well could slowly decline but to be honest it wont have any real impact... Ifd it was too dangerous then they could arrange the slaughter house..... This world is a dog eat dog world we live in and eventually something has to give

I have always been a strict believer in replacing yourself and your partner only.
To be honest, after living through one of the worst droughts ever,I suddenly realized that the one child policy was a stroke of genius.

We simply do not have enough resources left on this planet.
We are populating far to quickly.

OrphanPip Wrote:Even with a baby boom the UK's birthrate still isn't above replenishing levels. It's also dependent on immigrant mothers, whose children tend to have birthrates common to natural born citizens of developed countries.

I'm pleased that the USA no longer has the elevated birthrate, but it will probably continue to be the highest in the developed world because of cultural attitudes about abortion and the lower cost of living relative to other developed countries.

I'm not sure what you mean by elevated. It has been at or near a sustainable rate for quite a while, and has now fallen below that and continues a downward trend. I suppose sustainability is elevated? Most population growth for a while now has been due to immigration. And, of course, population density and the availability of land (I should say inhabitable land and make an exception) has an important roll. It is interesting, You know there are countries in the developed world actually trying to increase their birthrates. France., for instance.

France's "robust reproduction rate," which is "bucking the trend" of declining European birth rates, is "officially encouraged" by government programs, APM's "Marketplace" reports. (Beardsley, "Marketplace," APM, 9/21). Birth rates in European countries recently have reached a historic low, with the largest and most recent fall occurring in Eastern Europe. All European countries recorded birth rates of more than 1.3 children per woman in 1990, but in 2002, 15 counties had rates below 1.3 children per woman, and six countries had rates between 1.3 and 1.4 children per woman. According to a report released recently by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, France's birth rate of about 1.8 children per woman makes it the only European country with the possibility of maintaining its current population through births

OrphanPip Wrote:Mao didn't implement the one child policy. In fact his government did a lot for improving the status of women in China. The one child policy was in part a response to Mao's "family planning" campaigns and his huge investment in healthcare that caused China's population boom (nearly doubled under his leadership) leading up to the Great Famine. Birth control and gender equality were favoured by the Mao regime when concerns about population came about, the forced abortions and the one child policy came long after he was dead. Mao's policy worked at counter purposes, while he was successful at decreasing birth rates radically, he was much better at also making sure that most of the infants born survived to adulthood.

So, you don't like the current policy, you liked Mao's policy, but the later policy . . . not his earlier policy which lead to the great famine and the current problem. Well, what does that have to do with the price of rice in China? I bet a great deal.

how dare any goddamn government tell people how many children to have!

HollandofFrance Wrote:how dare any goddamn government tell people how many children to have!

The ones where these are normal every day images:

[Image: overpopulation.jpg]
[Image: overpopulation.jpg]
[Image: large_SubwayChina_Olympics_Traffi_Meye.JPG]
[Image: Colin00009.jpg]

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The ones where these are normal every day images:

I see...

I can't post pictures or links, but I guess we all know how crowded streets in America or Europe can get everyday! The last one of yours is a bit bellow belt, because it's a parade.

There are vast areas in Asia where you can't see a person even if you drive for days.

Rainbowmum Wrote:the one child policy was a stroke of genius.

I must admit I am surprised to hear that from a mother (?).

Maybe it's an interesting idea in theory, but try to live with it and explain to some committee, that you used the birth control, but it accidentaly failed. And that you want that second child...

HollandofFrance Wrote:how dare any goddamn government tell people how many children to have!

Calm down, there. I agree, it is and was a bad idea from the beginning, but they had good reason to do it. You also have to realize that their culture does not emphasize individual liberties like most western cultures do. They focus on the society as a whole. Perhaps there is something we can learn there. There must be a positive balance that could be struck between individual liberties and the greater good of society that neglects neither. I have not seen it yet, but it is something to be considered. It is better than simply condemning a people because they have different values than our own. Yes, their values have major faults, but so do ours.

Inchante Wrote:Calm down, there. I agree, it is and was a bad idea from the beginning, but they had good reason to do it. You also have to realize that their culture does not emphasize individual liberties like most western cultures do. They focus on the society as a whole. Perhaps there is something we can learn there. There must be a positive balance that could be struck between individual liberties and the greater good of society that neglects neither. I have not seen it yet, but it is something to be considered. It is better than simply condemning a people because they have different values than our own. Yes, their values have major faults, but so do ours.

You have a point there, but I don't think I like where it might be going. We were told by university students that the bloody suppress of demonstration at Tien-an-men in 1989 was a reasonable act. Because it was good for the greater good. They also said, Chinese people need and should have a strong and strict political regime... I guess they taught them well *sigh*