Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Effect of China's One-Child Family Policy after 25 Years
Nick9 Wrote:You have a point there, but I don't think I like where it might be going. We were told by university students that the bloody suppress of demonstration at Tien-an-men in 1989 was a reasonable act. Because it was good for the greater good. They also said, Chinese people need and should have a strong and strict political regime... I guess they taught them well *sigh*

It was kinda funny to me when I found some old articles on the Kent State shooting and China went on how they'd never do that, they'd use rubber bullets IIRC, etc. They were shocked at the time by America's ruthless suppression of its college protesters. It was surreal reading this in 2000.

But then the USA and China just love to tell their people just how evil (or at least intolerable) the government and society of the other one is. Thing is I don't recall ever catching either side lying about what happens in the other country, it's just for some reason it's intolerable tyranny when the other country does it but a surprised shrug and "what should the perps expect?" when roughly the same thing happens in one's own country (if it's even acknowledged at all).

When it comes down to it, however, neither China nor the USA has a good reputation for civil liberties and reasonable government with much of the rest of the world.

I think if a country becomes too over populated then why the hell dont they adapt their ways and means??? Of course it will mean that loads of people living in high rise flats burt at the end of the day its better than nothing at all... I still beleive in live and let live if someone wants loads of babies whats wrong with that??? As long as they can look after them thats all that matters and with regards to climbing on a bus all over... IMPLEMENT HEALTH AND SAFETY LAWS!

Nick9 Wrote:You have a point there, but I don't think I like where it might be going. We were told by university students that the bloody suppress of demonstration at Tien-an-men in 1989 was a reasonable act. Because it was good for the greater good. They also said, Chinese people need and should have a strong and strict political regime... I guess they taught them well *sigh*

That would be the whole point of "neglecting neither". Tien-an-men would not be a good example of vigilance for individual liberties.

Pix Wrote:it's just for some reason it's intolerable tyranny when the other country does it but a surprised shrug and "what should the perps expect?" when roughly the same thing happens in one's own country (if it's even acknowledged at all).

When it comes down to it, however, neither China nor the USA has a good reputation for civil liberties and reasonable government with much of the rest of the world.

There is a difference. I've never heard anyone say "what should the perps expect" about Kent State? I've heard it called an egregious attack on civil liberties and an embarrassment. I've also never heard of the U.S. Government blocking access to information about Kent State, and Kent State would be much easier to cover up with 4 protesters killed vs. between 400 and 800 in Tiananmen.

So, I guess I fail to see too many similarities between the two occurrences and what occurred afterward.

Inchante Wrote:Tien-an-men would not be a good example of vigilance for individual liberties.

Yeah, it was a reaction to your "You also have to realize that their culture does not emphasize individual liberties like most western cultures do. They focus on the society as a whole."

They do. To the point that they say T. was okay because of the "greater good."

You said "Perhaps there is something we can learn there."

Well, I am not sure Confusedmile:

Inchante Wrote:There is a difference. I've never heard anyone say "what should the perps expect" about Kent State? I've heard it called an egregious attack on civil liberties and an embarrassment. I've also never heard of the U.S. Government blocking access to information about Kent State, and Kent State would be much easier to cover up with 4 protesters killed vs. between 400 and 800 in Tiananmen.

So, I guess I fail to see too many similarities between the two occurrences and what occurred afterward.

Actually, a great many Americans and the POTUS excused--and even praised--the shooting while China acted all shocked and horrified by what happened at Kent State. When I commented on this I was told that the famous pic of the girl sobbing over a dead body was even condemned as a runaway and "what was she even doing there?" (ie, she got what she deserved). It's true that as the years went by it came to be seen in a worse light, but as I understand it so has China's. But the specific thing about this one comparison was how China moralized over Kent State and then went on to get even worse (which of course makes me wonder how much worse the USA can get while moralizing over China).

And the government has tried whitewashing massacres done here in the USA, too (for example, at Waco--not that it happened, but they destroyed evidence and gave an official story that didn't match what could be found, though that's pretty SOP whether there's only one dead body or scores of them).

But mainly the bickering is of today, such as the insane airport security measures that both countries have been known to engage in and yet seem to shudder at when the other country does it while grumbling or even shrugging when their own government does it. I also read a travel guide that warned travelers to expect customs in America more like they would in a Communist country and that was written before the TSA and Homeland Security. Both China and the USA sometimes have trouble getting wanted criminals or even terrorists extradicted by other countries because both of our legal systems are seen as corrupt and/or barbaric (not that there isn't much worse in the world). The USA has more of its population in prison and death row than China (or any other country in the world as well), though granted China's death penalty is pretty swift (though if I were to be executed by the state I'd rather be executed in China than the USA--though for the appeals part I'd rather be in the USA).

ETA: And the point of all this is I'm not sure that a difference between a philosophy of individualism or collectivism ultimately makes much difference in the end.

Nick9 Wrote:I must admit I am surprised to hear that from a mother (?).

Maybe it's an interesting idea in theory, but try to live with it and explain to some committee, that you used the birth control, but it accidentally failed. And that you want that second child...

I do not agree with the way they are going about it, the murder of female infants broke my heart too ,

That being said as a mother I want the best for my two sons, I would like them to be able to have everything they need.
That is why I made the choice to replace myself and my husband only.

Bottom line Australia is one of the harshest environments you can live in.
We simply do not have enough resources out there.
We recycle everything , Bore water only goes so far,if it runs dry , it's going to cost you $180.00 to fill up one of your water tanks.

This is not the first drought I have lived through ,the first one was much more heartbreaking .
When you have to put a bullet in the head of starving live stock that are so weak from hunger that they cannot even stand, it gives you a different perspective on resources.

You have to live the life to understand it.

Rainbowmum Wrote:You have to live the life to understand it.

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties your country has. But I don't see how this relate to China?
Your government doesn't tell you to have just one of your sons. China has (so far) enough supplies for their people.
The regulation is valid as far as I know just for people in towns. These people are richer (so they can provide for their children) than people in rural areas (and they can have more children).
I am sorry, but I really don't see the point in these rules and I am not sure why you support them.

why are you comparing china with the USA? just because im American?since i vote for republicans lately anyway has less to do with it-they never think of these Chinese laws

you get off topic insinuating Nixon liked Kent state shooting?no

jimmy carter as governor said turn on your headlights for Lt Calley