Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Eromenos and Erastes
So I was watching Naruto and a thought crossed my head.

Alot of Animes, especially ones of Yaoi obviously, seem to have this theme going on of like a brotherly or sometimes more romance/love. Even outside of the wishful thinking.

For example;
Zabuza and Haku from Naruto at the scene of Haku's sacrificial death for Zabuza who in return trys to honour it after realizing his feelings.

Zabuza is the short haired one and Haku is the long haired one. After for so long considering Haku as his "weapon" and generally neglecting any emotional ties between them, realizing all that hes done for Zabuza makes Zabuza break down and exact his revenge on the man who isnt quite seen in the clip, who kicks Haku's face after he died.

Despite the fact that Haku is Androgynous, their relationship is seen to be romantic, especially towards the end and is kind of not really hidden lol.

And of course Ikkaku and Yumichika.

Yumichika has the feathers on his eye and Ikkaku is ue bald one. Yumichika is very flamboyant but its how Ikkaku always tries to take the brunt or front line when the two of them fight, mostly for his bloodlust, but also for his concern for his only real friend. The person who gives him reason.

Actually their two stories are kinda similar, but I was wondering as to how you would view this type of relationship. And its significance and so forth.

Because while in today's society, this type of thing seems limiting or one sided, one being the protector/avenger/provider and the other being the supporter/inspirer/helper, its actually quite interesting.

Because emotionally speaking, its like two halves of a circle then meld into one, so technically it would be limiting to be apart.

Alexander the Great considered Hephaestion to be his Eromenos ,his rock, his Patrocles to his Achilles or Erastes.

I just wonder what people now would think of this type of romance/relationship, seeing as how everyone doesnt want to fit a role or be seen as something or the other, and while everyone is entitled to whatever, I was just wondering ;3

Coffee

And the perfect example Sora(blue hair) and Nao(pink hair). Its like blatantly pushed at us that Sora is the Erastes, seeing as how he is constantly trying to protect and love Nao, despite tensions, but in some ways, Nao can be Sora's Erastes in a way, but majoritively would be the Eromenos.

Anime can have loads of innuendo going on between certain characters, even if they're not romantically inclined towards each other. Usually this is for fanservice purposes. In Death Note, for example, there's a scene where L gives Light a foot massage for some strange, excusing reason. There are loads of other examples - the twins in Ouran High School Host Club even used the phenomenon to their advantage if I remember correctly.

[quote=Sylph]So I was watching Naruto and a thought crossed my head.

Alot of Animes, especially ones of Yaoi obviously, seem to have this theme going on of like a brotherly or sometimes more romance/love. Even outside of the wishful thinking.

For example;
Zabuza and Haku from Naruto at the scene of Haku's sacrificial death for Zabuza who in return trys to honour it after realizing his feelings.

Zabuza is the short haired one and Haku is the long haired one. After for so long considering Haku as his "weapon" and generally neglecting any emotional ties between them, realizing all that hes done for Zabuza makes Zabuza break down and exact his revenge on the man who isnt quite seen in the clip, who kicks Haku's face after he died.

Despite the fact that Haku is Androgynous, their relationship is seen to be romantic, especially towards the end and is kind of not really hidden lol.

And of course Ikkaku and Yumichika.

Yumichika has the feathers on his eye and Ikkaku is ue bald one. Yumichika is very flamboyant but its how Ikkaku always tries to take the brunt or front line when the two of them fight, mostly for his bloodlust, but also for his concern for his only real friend. The person who gives him reason.

Actually their two stories are kinda similar, but I was wondering as to how you would view this type of relationship. And its significance and so forth.

Because while in today's society, this type of thing seems limiting or one sided, one being the protector/avenger/provider and the other being the supporter/inspirer/helper, its actually quite interesting.

Because emotionally speaking, its like two halves of a circle then meld into one, so technically it would be limiting to be apart.

Alexander the Great considered Hephaestion to be his Eromenos ,his rock, his Patrocles to his Achilles or Erastes.

I just wonder what people now would think of this type of romance/relationship, seeing as how everyone doesnt want to fit a role or be seen as something or the other, and while everyone is entitled to whatever, I was just wondering ;3

And the perfect example Sora(blue hair) and Nao(pink hair). Its like blatantly pushed at us that Sora is the Erastes, seeing as how he is constantly trying to protect and love Nao, despite tensions, but in some ways, Nao can be Sora's Erastes in a way, but majoritively would be the Eromenos.

Speak English please....
Thanks so much....
Love you, mean it....

HumbleTangerine Wrote:Anime can have loads of innuendo going on between certain characters, even if they're not romantically inclined towards each other. Usually this is for fanservice purposes. In Death Note, for example, there's a scene where L gives Light a foot massage for some strange, excusing reason. There are loads of other examples - the twins in Ouran High School Host Club even used the phenomenon to their advantage if I remember correctly.

I agree, I just noticed this trend ,, especially between men, that like one is always trying to protect and so forth, and it made me wonder is this like a play on the Relationship of the Erastes/Eromenos , and not always in the romantic light, and if so why and how would people feel about it in our view of society today.

Seeing as how many gay men wish not to be in a "role" which is kind of what the Erastes/Eromenos,while sometimes interchangeable, basically is.

As seen with Achilles and Patrocles and Alexander and Hephaestion and also in many instances of War, both modern and past, such as with King Arthur and Bedivere(Bedwyr his Welsh name) , where it is interpreted that they had a romantic interest in one another, due to the fact that while many disliked Bedivere for his handsomeness and intellect and the fact he was so close to Arthur, Arthur always protected him.

This is extrapolated in the book "The Silurian; Arthur's Army".

I just want to know how this is seen generally in today's society and why.

I actually see it, in like when a friend gets in a fight and you jump in and on the frontlines of a war, you run to protect/aid a good friend from harm, its not always romantic obviously, but emotions are involved regardless.

You know how I am, just a curious Bee thats me ;3