Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The G8 Summit so far...
It's that time again when the world's richest nations come together to create empty promises & to show off their muscles.Yesterday,Africa was top of the agenda.We've been promised $25 billion in aid (yeah,right) and the US & UK pushed for financial & social sanctions to be put on Zimbabwe,(no doubt leaving the other member countries with no choice) which I disagree with.Why can't they just target Bob & his minions?Interesting to see just how much influence the G5 will have on the G8's decisions.

I agree with the above, but in relation to Africa I do think you also need to consider that the African States themselves need to take a much more active role in their own affairs.

A situation in which despotism, starvation and conflict provoked genuine outrage from African leaders followed by direct action would be a massive step forward for Africa: and I reiterate what I said in the previous thread: South Africa must take a lead because it is their sphere of interest, and Africa still resents Western influence.

25 billion is pocket change for the West. Even if it is delivered. Marshal Plan this is not... It's a convenient excuse, often used, that the money would be wasted on strengthening the iron fists of despots. I think this argument is a weak one when you consider the good work done by the Red Cross and other direct aid organisations, but the G8 should also look at ending farm subsidies and unfair trade.

South Africa isn't Africa's Messiah!We have more than our own share of problems to deal with,wherever can we get the resources to save Africa?I've always felt that the colonial countries (UK,France) should stand by their former colonies.Without a doubt they had a hand in the current situation in many of these countries.

Our handling of the transition to independence was poor, but at least the UK has maintained its links with the Commonwealth.

I would serve the West's interest to see a resurgent Africa, but it will not happen until Western leaders back fair trade and economic development in Africa and until African leaders put 100% behind the process of ending the rule of tribal militias and then democratisation.

Unfortunately, I think that it is the political development of Africa which is the major stumbling block when it comes to economic development... because you can't develop an economy in political and military chaos.

To sum: Africa needs political before economic development... and that can only come from the people of Africa and their leaders.

My worst fear is that Barack Hussein Obama will take on that job, to boost Africa, the Palestinians, etc...
and ignore the rest of us.

No American President will be able to ignore the Jewish lobby and there is a strong case for supporting a democratic Israel in the heart of a despotic Middle East.

Personally... I think Palestine and Africa need support like the Marshal Plan for post war Europe.

But... As I said above political change precedes economic change.

Jim Wrote:My worst fear is that Barack Hussein Obama will take on that job, to boost Africa, the Palestinians, etc...
and ignore the rest of us.

add reparations & the return of the south to Mexico Laugh1

sorry ot.

I didnt get to watch much... seems someone had a great big meal before talking about hungry people - that was the big news today here Laugh1

Roflmao I did find the whole meal thing rather odd Frankie!I couldn't have put it better myself,a smart kid you are.

Dan1089 Wrote:Roflmao I did find the whole meal thing rather odd Frankie!I couldn't have put it better myself,a smart kid you are.

You are much smarter my friend Cry

I was just pointing out that it was the ONLY topic covered by the news here... 10 news channels/ 24 hours and they go on and on about the food served Cry

were there any protesting or was it more controlled this year?

Protestors were kept about 100km from the island of Haikkado.There were only a handful of them anyways.Some of them where dressed in smart suits and then wore each of the G8's leaders' faces (with huge heads & confused expressions).Does anybody have any idea why China is part of the G5 and not the G8?That always bothered me.