Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Irish referendum on same sex marriage
Perhaps an even more interesting question is whether the Catholic church will face their waning influence in social matters.`
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:Perhaps an even more interesting question is whether the Catholic church will face their waning influence in social matters.`

Yes, interesting, they've held sway for far too long but with this referendum it seems that at last the Irish are rebelling and realising that the Church can no longer dictate what they can and cannot do. Viva la revolution!
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:

What remains now is what will the Catholic church do? Will they or won't they marry same sex couples?

Well if the C of E still refuses to marry gay couples in the UK, I doubt the Catholic church will marry them in Ireland....

It's official, 62% in favour:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32858501

The Irish Times' headline today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/

Interestingly I heard an interview on the BBC this morning with an Irish Catholic who admits thathe voted "yes". He also wemnt on to say that one of his sons was gay, partly the reason who he voted "yes". He said he could not love his son and at the same time deny him the possibility of love.

I was at my granny's today. I was in the other room at the time, but I heard her and my parents talking about it. She wasn't too pleased. She said, "God help the children." Mummy told me that she said that she waited for me to leave the room before she spoke about it. At first, I was horrified because I thought it was about my own sexuality but I think it was just because I am young and she thought I would probably disagree with her. My parents were saying that they're not happy with the result but that they suppose gay people just want to be happy like everyone else. Which was an odd thing to say because everyone else is unhappy, but whatever. I think they meant that they understand that gay people should be allowed to marry but they can't (rather than just "won't") feel good about it.