Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lovin' Spoonful
The Lovin' Spoonful

[Image: lovinspoonful.jpg]

I guess they deserve their own thread. This band is best known for Summer in the City and Do You Believe in Magic?. Smash hits during the 1960's and they're catchy songs. They have great lyrics too. Anyone here like them? I downloaded Summer in the City a while ago. I only like 'em for that one song, but I might get more than just that one song.

[Image: thespoonful.jpg]

They have a marvelous official website: The Lovin' Spoonful I was really impressed to see that time and effort was put into that site. Usually sites for old bands are pretty meh... The Lovin' Spoonful and The Grateful Dead (might make a thread about 'em sometime) have killer official sites.

Its about time you kids started giving these old bands some respect after all they where the innovators
of rock and roll and yes even hip hop

Thank you

LOL @ MrNSL Wink

Yes, I like the music of The Lovin' Spoonful. I never saw the full band perform live, but I did see John Sebastian (sometimes with Zal Yanovsky) perform a few times around 1970. So many good time songs, youth, optimism, long summers and everything tie-died. What's not to like?!

Incidentally, I heard that The Grateful Dead decided to go electric after seeing The Lovin Spoonful perform live in San Francisco. They are inextricably linked with the sixties Greenwich Village coffee house scene that spawned so much brilliant music. Maybe it's time for a Mugwumps reappraisal Rolleyes

Mr. Not So Lonely Wrote:Its about time you kids started giving these old bands some respect after all they where the innovators
of rock and roll and yes even hip hop

Thank you

I can't say much for 70s/80s rock without more knowledge to back it up, but hip hop innovators? really?

hip hop came from recycled/looped disco breaks, and the then innovative use of crossfade mixers & turntables on the b-boy party scene in the 80s, Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, a far cry from progressive rock...