Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pitch: Banning All Religion
While the adverts don't ask for an ban, per se, I thought it was very interesting the contrasting style both adverts took:

I like these commercials. I wonder if they could be aired here in the USA.

scary:
seems the second vid, promoting religion, says "lets all thing alike to make it a better Australia"

pellaz Wrote:scary:
seems the second vid, promoting religion, says "lets all thing alike to make it a better Australia"

I think you misinterpreted the second advert, they were both saying no to religion. It says religion is the Number one cause of conflict, the messages get twisted which drives us towards hate and indoctrinates children.

It doesn't say we have to be alike, it says we can "be as one" in driving out religion. We don't have to be alike in any way.

I like those ads. I do think the world would be better without religion as i don't believe in it and it causes too many problems, the worst being wars.

I'd be terrified if those ads were to be broadcasted because there would be a major uproar among religious supporters. And it would be insanely difficult to ban because the US constitution guarentees freedom of religion (i dont know about Australia and other countries, but i'd assume i'd be hard everywhere to ban), and not to mention enforcing the ban would be difficult.

I think it would be a better thing if we could just develop ways of actually tolerating difference. Exterminating religions is the extermination of free thought, at least one dimension of free thought. I find these videos sad and as bigoted as the narrowest of religious beliefs.

I should point out that although I am an atheist, I'm not for the banning of religion. If people want to believe in what ever they want then it is up to them. Just so long as your beliefs don't interfere in someone else's freedoms and rights then all is good.

An incidentally, here is a more tolerant sect of Christianity:
[Image: j1dfK.jpg]

I dislike religion but I think it is necessary as a tool to control the masses...and I think that is the point and has been the point all along.

Religion is not the real problem, it is peoples interpretations of religion that is the problem. It just seem that religion has been twisted, contorted, mis-interpreted for the sole purpose to suit a person's needs and add weight to an arguement. In religions pure form, I think each religion would be a peaceful one. It seems to be in peoples nature to corrupt everything.

I'm not a religious person, but I think it would be a sad day if we removed religion and peoples rights to choose a religion.

colinmackay Wrote:I should point out that although I am an atheist, I'm not for the banning of religion. If people want to believe in what ever they want then it is up to them. Just so long as your beliefs don't interfere in someone else's freedoms and rights then all is good.

I wonder, Colin, I was just reading an article on the growth of the Islamist movement in Europe. Is that something that is factual, is there a valid worry in the UK and Europe about Islamists or is this just reactionary hype from ultraconservative factions over there?