Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
European Rights Court Orders Russia to Recognize Same-Sex Unions
European Rights Court Orders Russia to Recognize Same-Sex Unions

Europe’s top human rights court has ordered Russia to recognize same-sex unions in a new ruling on Tuesday.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR)’s ruling came in response to complaints filed in 2010 by three Russian same-sex couples whose attempts to register their marriages in Russia were rejected.

The ECHR judges unanimously ruled that Russia violated Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights — the right to respect for private and family life — by not granting legal status to the couples’ unions, the court said in a press release.

The court ruled that Russia had an obligation to ensure respect for the applicants’ private and family life by establishing a framework for their relationships to be legally acknowledged and protected.

Although Article 8 does not explicitly oblige Council of Europe member states to recognize same-sex marriage, it does imply a need to strike a fair balance between same-sex couples’ needs and those of the community, the court said.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/07/1...ons-a74509
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

Does this court actually have any jurisdiction over Russia or is it basically just a statement of support for same sex couples?

I'm going to assume it's just a statement of support. I don't see Putin being affected by this.
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!

That will show Putin.
Bernd

Being gay is not for Sissies.

(07-14-2021, 11:20 PM)calgor Wrote: Does this court actually have any jurisdiction over Russia or is it basically just a statement of support for same sex couples?

Probably on paper but no, I doubt this will do anything either.
"I’m not expecting to grow flowers in a desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime"
Check out my stuff!